Pixel Art Challenge: The Sporting Life

Adam, winner of the You Rad-Tad Misfits! challenge wants you to create something based on a fictional sport or on an existing one in a fictional setting.

Colors: exactly 32! No more, no less
Canvas size: 160x120 minimum, 320x240 maximum, horizontal or vertical
Transparency: not allowed
Animation: allowed

Posted by jalonso @ 4/28/2008 05:08  |    20

hotnikkelz (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/4/2008 18:43
actually i think the reason for somewhat 'inactive' challenges, is cuz most people want pallette restrictions of 16 colours and less. Suggested pallettes are also a plus. The challenge with the barbarian, beast rider etc is proof of this

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/4/2008 18:25
I think its because this one doesn't really give room for much creativity. I mean it does, but it is a lot harder than most challenges.  How can you create an existing sport in a fictional setting without being to boring? Maybe Polo on dinosaurs or something. I think better wording would have been, create a pixel art based on a sport. And then let the artist work from there.

But lets face it, SPORTS ARE JUST BORING! unless you're playing them.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 5/4/2008 06:14
Yea, sore losers get the rocket upgrade and blow the opponent to little pieces XD Would be an interesting sport to watch, but I guess i'd be over quickly haha

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/3/2008 19:40
i've been pretty out of it lately, but this is a great idea D: im surprised i haven't any entries on this. perfect time to take some boring ol' sport like golf and throw some rocket launchers and jetpacks into it, c'mon D=

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 5/3/2008 16:37
Haha no I can still live with myself (i have 1000s of green ribbons) but im still not going to submit, also, this piece is a disgrace to the rest of my PA

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/3/2008 13:50
Just post it >(

You're not just entering for the prizes are you? Maybe I'll enter 10 crappy entries so you'll feel better :3

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 5/3/2008 13:39
I finished mine, but im not going to submit it because of that... I've never won a challenge, but this is unfair :( I think mine would just get a green ribbon for entering... Its not total crap but still not worthy of a prize...

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/2/2008 20:40
make something crap and you'll win 1st 2nd AND 3rd if no one else enters :P

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 5/2/2008 15:45
Damned! Wanted to enter this but forgot to :( 2 days left... can I make it? Who wants to bet? :P

LazyKat (Level 2 Peon) @ 4/29/2008 09:09
Actually, in the WIP thread someone mentioned a b/w image with a rainbow ball... that sounds kinda interesting to me, and done properly is could be rather nice looking. I like b/w images with a splash of colour.

Probably won't be participating in this however. I can't even think of a good sport.

Not much of a sport person.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 4/29/2008 05:47
Tomic, you'd have to go through the moral issues of decieving people...
They should judge you accordingly, but probably won't.

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 4/29/2008 03:26

"Colors: exactly 32! No more, no less".. so doing an 8 color piece with aditional 24 used for an unnecessary rainbow-gradient-border would be still okay, right?

* handpixeled gradient of course =D

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 4/28/2008 18:47
1 black, 1 white and 5 nice unnecissary 6 colour ramps. No hue shifting, be stylish. :D

berkadam (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 4/28/2008 17:10
I foresee lots of unnecessary shading. ;_;

l3m0n5 (Level 4 Deputy) @ 4/28/2008 13:18
[stupid question 1]for colors it says: "32!", does that mean 32 factorial cuz i can't pick 2.6313083693369355e+35 colors for one piece, dank you berry much [/stupid question 1]

i really need to go back to joining these things man.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 4/28/2008 10:07
Yeah, you are both right I guess :P might enter this when im back at my dads place

Adam (Level 9 Major General) @ 4/28/2008 06:46
Actually it was meant to be a crucial part of the challenge. I don't know about others but for me it's really hard to manage a decent palette larger than 16.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 4/28/2008 06:17
Well, could make sense. 32 divided by 2, is 16. 16 bit's/individual team colors to differentiate between two teams(16 bit set sprite palette against another 16 bit set sprite pallet, red against blue, or something...). If multiple teams, say 4, you can give them 8 bit/individual colors to differentiate, and use existing colors to pan out audience, or field, if used wisely. Colors are just colors, and numbers are just numbers. It's what you do with them, that counts.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 4/28/2008 06:05
dont know about the colour rule tho :S

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 4/28/2008 05:10
This should be an interesting one.

plump icon/pixelartWho's that Pokemon? icon/pixelartdoop icon/pixelartBeast Hunter (Bloodborne) icon/pixelart