Open Source Alternative for MS Paint

Paint.net has got to be one of the best freeware programs I have seen to battle MS paint.  Not only is it free, its also open source!  It has a bunch of awesome features that put somewhere between MS paint and Photoshop.

Features include...
  • layers
  • layer effects
  • dither brushes
  • better palette control
  • image color adjustments
  • and much much more.

Given it's written in .net, I wonder how hard it would be to make a canvas-networking plugin?  the possibilities are endless!  Definitely give this program a try.

-Dan

Posted by Indigo @ 2/15/2008 20:58  |    29

pipo (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/15/2013 14:53

Unfortunately Paint.net which seemed to be a fully replacement of a nasty Microsoft program, actually  is based almost entirely on Microsoft framework libraries which is as nasty as the original Microsoft paint it pretends to be a replacement of.   Paint.net is just an unacceptable nasty program...!

Velbright (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/22/2010 15:16

I personally don't rate Paint.NET, A good one for linux (with KDE) is KolourPaint, it is like MS paint, but supports larger palettes and transparency.

kundan (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/23/2009 03:56

Alternative to MS Paint in swings

ShoneGold (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/27/2008 03:27
I have still not downloaded and tested it yet but on deviantART I was asked by an artist to count her colours on a certain piece of work.....it turned out to be in the thousands. Cut a very long story short we finally worked out she was using Paint.net and the eraser tool was not fully erasing the colours but leaving reduced opacities behind which was the cause of the enormous colour count...so any one who tries it please test this first...no point in ruining your pixelart.

Indigo (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/22/2008 22:55
I wouldn't have noticed.  I pixel with a tablet using the pencil tool only.  line tool is overrated anyway

Pixel_Outlaw (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/22/2008 19:49

* Hint Hint* The iso lines are still busted. The idiots are using splines as lines.

manxana (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 2/22/2008 11:29
I've done all my professional works on MSpaint and I always tell the people who hire me I use photoshop haha, I guess i just got so used to it I wouldn't change it. Anyways I think I'll try this program see who it works. :)

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/19/2008 21:40
I totally agree with jamon. for pixeling, MTPaint is much better. considering is designed specifically for pixelart ;D

jamon (Level 10 Operative) @ 2/19/2008 02:45
For me most important thing with pixeling is pallete manipulation... MSpaint don't even have a shorcut for pipete!!! for me wery frustating.
If you don't want to pay for Promotion best pixeliing app around for PC platform (my opinion) you can try this...

http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/   (MTpaint) much better than MSpaint and lot of features... and free
(i'm searching for men that will compile this for OSX - so if you know someone  HELP!)

On OSX (my platform =) pixen is nice solution but pallete editing suxx!  so right now i play with AMIGA emulator and Brilliance, Dpaint =)

Pixel_Outlaw (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/18/2008 19:17

I tried this last night and foumd that it cannot make proper isometric lines. I used the line tool and as soon as it made a line with a slope of 1/2 the line went compleatly crazy. Anyone else notice this?

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/17/2008 07:21
The only reason, I think, that I stuck to MSPaint rather than Graphics Gale was the fact you can use the right-click button to colour as well.. and this has that feature... :o

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/17/2008 06:40
I think its cool how we all have different preferences.

asukicco (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 2/17/2008 04:11
It's weird that nobody know kolourpaint :( Of course paint.net its a very cool program, but I prefer Gimp...

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/17/2008 00:44
@Indigo:
Windows XP (SP2 or later),
   or Windows Vista,
   or Windows Server 2003 (SP1 or later)

I forgot to add the other 2 OS supported.

DayDream (Level 4 Deputy) @ 2/16/2008 22:00
I will never understand how people can work with MSPaint - coming from the DPaint Amiga background - MSPaint didn't even come up as an alternative. I tried Paint.net and can't really see an advantage over the tools I am using at the moment but it surely is way better than MSPaint.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 2/16/2008 21:13
im sticking to IDraw + Photoshop for myself, but for someone who just wants a nicer version of paint it's cool

Fuzzyleaves (Level 5 Detective) @ 2/16/2008 17:06
ms paint is so simple and nice.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/16/2008 15:31
Even if I could buy every program on the net, i'd still use this over anything.

Indigo (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/16/2008 15:00
I myself probably wont shift to this.  my workflow lies within photoshop and promotion.  This is more geared to people who cant afford anything more than MS Paint.  This tool gives them all of the things they need that MS Paint lacks.  Things like... SHORTCUTS(!) and LAYERS(!)

I, having been an MS Paint user at the beginning, would be drooling over this program.

"the issue that it opnly works under Win XP service pack 2"
where did you read that?  I know it supports vista and probably other windows OS as well

Zephiel87 (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 2/16/2008 12:08
I've tried it briefly, and it never really struck me as a pixelling program. Perhaps somewhere in between MSPaint and Photoshop.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/16/2008 11:31
Its great for photoshopping, but for painting pixels, I just cant get used to the shortcuts..
I slowly get more used to graphicsgale, so I guess ill keep using that in combination with mspaint.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/16/2008 10:11
did this to test it, may have to color it

1up (Level 1 Thug) @ 2/16/2008 10:08
I'll give it a try, but I doubt it's any better than GraphicsGale :3

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/16/2008 09:08
Its like photoshop for pixels!! Its great. I may actually make the big switch.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/16/2008 07:40
the issue that it opnly works under Win XP service pack 2, plus the requirement of downloading .NET framworks... don't know... but still works as an exeoent alternative for those who does not want to/can't afford some money into Photoshop or PSP.

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/16/2008 06:09
After a quick mess-about, it seems to be very promising; I'll have to make a few things in it first before I disband MSPaint though..

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/15/2008 21:36
Ill give it a try.

dumbo (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 2/15/2008 21:29
Very nice find...

Steel Assault Underwater Level icon/pixelartLittle MockUp icon/pixelartAnubis icon/pixelartCheese defense_1 icon/pixelart