Pixel Art Challenge: Blood-Fire-Rage-Hate

Challenge winner dakael challenges you to pixel these words as played in a major part in human history. Pick up at least any two of these abstracts and illustrate them. Be creative! This time imagination is the key.

Canvas size:
 - Minimum resolution: 25.6 kpx (for example: 160x160, 256x100)
 - Maximum resolution: 64 kpx (for example: 640x100, 320x200)
Maximum number of colors: 32
Animation: allowed
Transparency: not allowed

Have fun!

PS. What is kpx? It's a prefix 'kilo', so kpx means kilopixel, and it stands for 1000 pixels. "

*PJ Staff note, dakael is a nerd XD

Posted by jalonso @ 2/4/2008 05:02  |    24

pmprog (Level 4 Murderer) @ 2/7/2008 13:53
So we can't do a "flaming hot" female who we hate because she's not real?
I think the trouble is, that you tried to provide too many options Sticking to 2 or 3 resolutions allowing for landscape/portait would have worked

dakael (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/7/2008 13:10
I had a hope that this is simple enough, but I see I need to say it again.

"I see I didn't say this clearly enough, so let's clarify this once and for all :

- resolution rule:

For example - we want to draw an image  100x100 pixels, so we do some little math 100x100 = 10 000. So this is 10kpx. Damn, to small!
Second example: we want to draw 100x800 (we are a weirdo!), so we again do some math : 100x800 = 80 000. So it's 80kpx. Damn, again it's too huge!

I hope that's now clarified enough?

- theme rule:

We have four words - blood, fire, rage, hate.

Ok! We take two of them and do some illustration. But it doesn't have to be related with human history! I had to said this not so clear enough (stupid dakael, stupid!). I give you an example:

For example we take "rage" and "blood" - we can draw a berserk, war scene or similar. Or take "fire" and "hate" - you can create a scene of arson, underwater creature which hates fire (but we have to see "hate" on his face and "fire" on the image). Or take all words and create a scene of dragon/demon slaying in depths of hell. Anything that you wish is good, but if it's not so obvious then please add an explanation.

Also remember to not bend the rules too much - smiling girl doesn't stick to the rules at all! Remember - imagination is the key!

I hope that all of you understand everything now, yup?"

dakael (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/7/2008 13:04
~I Am Uh: I am disappointed that very simple rule turned into hard one for some of you. Let me say this again : we need only pictures that have equal or more than 25600 pixels and equal or less than 64000 pixels in them. I think everyone can do this "advanced math" -> width * height .

Elwin (Level 5 Sniper) @ 2/7/2008 12:55
We're halfway through the time, and there are no submissions. And I understand it, as I don't understand the challenge, and therefore understanding that other non-understanders doesn't join because they don't understand this un-understandable challenge.

I Am Uh (Level 4 Button Man) @ 2/7/2008 11:24
When I saw the name for this challenge I thought to myself, sweet this looks like it might be some fun. After reading it all I'm kinda disappointed... I mean it's just so confusing how am I supposed to know whether or not i have 20 something thousand pixels on a certain size image. Maybe I'm just retarded but I don't think this challenge is gonna get to many submissions.

creamdonut (Level 1 Depressed) @ 2/6/2008 03:40
Decimal point marker with a point or comma is exactly the same. Good luck for you all! ;)

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/5/2008 19:28
@Tomic: I second you absolutely. perhaps you could win this one to give us a good challenge :D

Inventrix (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/5/2008 17:33
Some countries use a comma as the decimal place marker.  So it means 25.6 kpx.

(I think. )

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/5/2008 14:55
next week we go pixel-tard proof

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/5/2008 14:42

needs 2 pages of comments to read to get an idea of what the topic is about.. roughly. i'm missing the days when we had challenges like 'close encouters'.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/5/2008 14:03
what up with the comma? That mean 250 kpx - 256 kpx?

pmprog (Level 4 Murderer) @ 2/5/2008 12:14
lol, never expected that response, esp' as I was only having a laugh

@dakael: kg as in grams is not computer/binary.

@Larwick: Indeed it does. Scroll to the bottom of this Wiki page.

I've never heard of a kibibyte, but it sounds good! I'm going to use that somewhere...

Anyway, that's my stir for the year, I really should get back into doing pixel art, not done any for a long time

Monkey 'o Doom (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/5/2008 05:24
Actually, to be specifically using powers of 2 in units, one has to end the unit with "bi," resulting in kibibytes or kibipixels, abbreviated KiB or for kibibytes or I guess Kipx for kibipixels.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 2/5/2008 03:52
I dont think k as in kilo- ever means 1024 specifically. It just happens that 1024 bytes is rounded down when naming it, right? :P

I'm not even gunna attempt this one. Heheh.

dakael (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/5/2008 01:38
I don't want to double post, please look at challenge thread. I hope i clarified everything.
~pmprog: not always, sometimes it's K, sometimes k. One is 1024, and other is 1000. 1kg doesn't stand for 1024 gramms

~skamocore:  if we will see his raging and hate on his face/his movement that painting Jalonso is absolutely ok!

~stickman: that would be perfect!

pmprog (Level 4 Murderer) @ 2/4/2008 23:53
Well, if you're following the standard notation for kilo in computers, it's actually 1024, not 1000

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/4/2008 21:04
Hate and Rage = Jalonso

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/4/2008 19:46

*damm you smartass

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 2/4/2008 16:55
Isn't it 2 of the words that your supposed to pick and combine?

Hate and Blood = Holocaust,
Rage and Blood = Amistad

ecetera?

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/4/2008 14:30
Sorry guys, dakael wrote the challenge and I failed to clear it up.
Until he expresses himself this is how I understood it from him:
You take one of the four words and then illustrate some historic reference from that.
For example:
Fire = Joan of Arc burning
Fire = Burning of Rome
Hate=The Holocaust
Blood = Anything with/about/relating to Bush
Rage= 'dunno' : /

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/4/2008 14:08
kudos for res limit in kpixels =) don't get the topic though, might wait for the first guys to post wips in the forum =P

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/4/2008 12:28
lolnerd.

Ya i like that resolution thing.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/4/2008 10:09
Cool, I hope we are going put our resolutions in KP allways from now on!

The Enchantress icon/pixelartOmega Legion - Martyr Infantry icon/pixelartCorvus Rogue icon/pixelartSekiro icon/pixelart