Pixel Art Challenge: Pixelart Revisited

From challenge winner tomic comes this very interesting challenge. Re-pixel the first pixelart that you've submitted to your pixeljoint gallery. If your first pixelart was your avatar then your second pixel. Nothing newer.

rules:
- recognizable improvement in shading, dithering etc. must be evident. No entry will be allowed that does not show this.

ADDED: If your first gallery was sent back for revision or deleted. You may use this for your challenge entry but must include a direct link to it for comparison when voting.

Posted by jalonso @ 1/14/2008 05:23  |    51

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/18/2008 14:15
bah, just doesn't look like i'll have the time; spent 3.5 hours at the social security office today and that was just about the extent of my free time >.<

heh, we should some time have a revamp challenge where everyone tries to improve on the same shet, like modernizing LoZ2 or Warcraft: Orcs and Humans

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/17/2008 11:04
No I did not revise it.
Other Mods had input to make submission and judging an easier task.
In this challenge the pixrl itself is irrevelant its the progress that counts.
Having a list to choose from is lazy :p

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/17/2008 10:15

yepp, first three is pretty much what my idea was initially (well, first five actually, extended by a 'in half the color count'-rule).. but the brainbug revised it =)

(no worries jal)

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 1/17/2008 07:56
Frankly, I'd loosen the rules to let ppl pick one of the first three they uploaded. This first upload business is very romantic and all, but it can be pretty awkward.
Never mind, I'm revisiting my mockup now :D

inkspot (Level 4 Button Man) @ 1/16/2008 09:59
My skill is worth 3 minutes. Jup, thats the time I spent. Damn photoshop wasted more time than actual piece itself.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/16/2008 06:13
yes, you can re-work to show your new flashy skillz.
For example first pixel is a tiny un-animated sprite with 40 colors.
Remake with 8 color and animated using cell shading.
Its skill related not just visual updating.

jamon (Level 10 Operative) @ 1/16/2008 05:23
;)

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/16/2008 05:10
of course that.. no need to stay in CMYNRGB =)

jamon (Level 10 Operative) @ 1/16/2008 05:03
What about colors... can we change palete of original piece?

zAk (Level 3 Stalker) @ 1/16/2008 01:47
Can i for instance take the character i created and re-do his pose, size etc? great challenge idea!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/15/2008 14:16
Yes, Boonzeet.
Just make sure you have a link to the original so when the voting starts members can jusdge the progress.
welcome to PJ

Boonzeet (Level 1 Thug) @ 1/15/2008 14:00
Can I be able to redo something I done ages ago :S

Because I only joined a few days ago.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 1/15/2008 07:46
Thanks Tomic! (Sorry Jal )

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/15/2008 06:37

@ stickman: well, as your first two pieces look like avatars, your task for this week would be to rework that sketchgirl, even if you would have changed it 1000 times since uploading in 2005

for all:

don't know, but reading this page and the thread in the forum it feels like some stupids may have got this wrong, so: pieces for this weeks challenge have to be submitted as whole new piece to the gallery, rather than editing and overwriting existing ones! (link to these is needed for comparison)

and: participating in this challenge IS NOT A MUST =) also (anticipating question one couldn't even imagine): if someone has a) never ever uploaded a piece here on pj or b) only done avatars in the whole of his life then we have a DNQ =)

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/15/2008 06:15
damm, you stickman and your complex questions.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 1/15/2008 05:23
Okay Tomic...just one question that I haven't seen mentioned yet. What if that piece has already been revised? (I did 2 stickman avatars and then another stick pic, which got updated because of dodgy colouring), would I need to revise that same pic?

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 1/14/2008 22:14
It'd be the best thing in the world if you'd redo that. DO IT! DO IT!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 19:17
If you have a copy of the first deleted item and link to the description it should be fine too.
Remember this is tomic's challenge so these kind of questions may be asked of him too.
I did add this to the rules now too.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 1/14/2008 17:54
my first submission, and the one i must redo to participate : http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/7051.htm

yeah. huge and detailed. fuck.

Does removal of dithering count as "improved" ?

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2008 15:47

then he might.. DELETE YOU!

stop asking stupid questions =)

drr (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 1/14/2008 15:41
At the risk of bugging jalonso once more, what if you've deleted your first ever pixel off PJ?

Doomcreator0 (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 1/14/2008 14:06
I don't even know if I have the original one. :S

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 13:49
damm you all nitpicking the frikkin rules every week, sheesh.

step 1 - go to your gallery
step 2 - update 1st pixel*

*if first pixel is a simple avvy which is perfect like say...

...this

Then your second piece.

Cheshire (Level 1 Intern) @ 1/14/2008 13:39
It will be cooool experience to remake my first entry (with 4 entries in total )

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2008 12:20
We do know, your best submission ever. And you where supposed to remake it on the clean your HD challenge but instead you made some empty sky, so you will have to remake it now.
It will surely get less crispyer than then, and colors will be more well chosen aswell I suppose

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 1/14/2008 11:54
are you kidding? do you know what i do have as my first submission in PJ? D:

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 1/14/2008 11:33
Well I already remade my chess pieces a few months ago.  So I'm going to redo my flower quad, my second pixel ever.

Mille (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 1/14/2008 11:02
HA! Mash said it! I wanna do that too.

MashPotato (Level 7 Underboss) @ 1/14/2008 10:31
Whoo, I was thinking of doing this anyway since my one-year PJ anniversary's coming up
Using the picture your avatar is derived from is okay, right?

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2008 10:02
same with at least one 2006 piece =P

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2008 09:57

just in case the ilkke asks: yepp, in case someone has already revised his first pj pixelart, then this weeks rules are part of a consiracy against serbian pixel-domination =D

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 09:57
yea like some could finally be made into pixelart

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2008 09:46

no offense, but there's room for improvement on practically every hall-of-fame-piece from 2005

even this got improved

Di0xygen (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 1/14/2008 08:47
   Hmm can we dig pixelart we made for example deviantart that are much older, because my first pixelart on pixeljoint  is in the hall of fame DX would be quite a challenge to remake it.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 08:31
was it pixelart :p

soda (Level 10 President) @ 1/14/2008 08:30
What if your first entry was a weekly challenge?

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 08:15
yes, resizing the canvas shouldn't be an issue.
I think for this its more about upgrading in techniques that count.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 1/14/2008 07:50
first can hardly use improvement, but ok its an avatar.. second can use improvement but not much, just as the third and the fourth.
The fifth really needs a lot of improvement.. but I allready remade thatone!!
aaarg
no joining for me :(

Feron (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 1/14/2008 07:43
this challenge is gonna be awesome. I'm gonna start digging my HD for one of my oldest pixelarts to remake as my gallery consists of fairly recent stuff.

Mille (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 1/14/2008 07:05
Uh... I dunno.... I wont remade my second anyway but Id find cool to remake the lad insane...
By the way i don get the point in that avatar restriction, if its not the size...

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 1/14/2008 07:01
No, the point is that you shouldn't redo your avatar. Rather a normal pixel piece.
In other words: If the first pixel in your gallery was made to use as avatar, pick the second.

Mille (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 1/14/2008 07:00
I don exactly get the avatar thing. Id like to remake my very first piece, the aladdin sane, that wasnt made for avatar (the piece itself is too big) too i made the pre as an avatar...
I guess its no problem about remake that one, no?

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 1/14/2008 06:58
Hey dude, can the canvas be changed or not?
(I don't mean major changes, but for example, I'd like my demon to have longer legs since the legs in the first version didn't make much sense)

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 06:56
no way, your lil'dude past lives forever!
You must remake the wolf in your awesome ways.

Gas 13 (Level 9 Boss) @ 1/14/2008 06:55
Adding old image instead of the link would be very helpful. Either when watching or when voting (onmouseover will show 2 compared images).

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 1/14/2008 06:53
I can pixel my first piece that wasn't a fucking Little Dude?

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/14/2008 06:15
I added an exception. thx A.B. for pointing out the obvious o.O

1sT (Level 1 Thug) @ 1/14/2008 06:11
damn, all my work is small and almost only avatars >_<

Skoby (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/14/2008 06:00
I only submitted my first piece last night, I do still have my first ever pixel (from 3+ years ago which I could make 1000x better) that I could rework, is there anyway I could still qualify for this competition? This sounds like a great challenge, just wish I'd signed up here earlier lol

A.B. (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 1/14/2008 05:48
What if the first pixelart I submitted needed revision and later got deleted? O_o o_O

of 2

cold little icon/pixelartBonsai remake icon/pixelartChilly Breath icon/pixelartDragon Jar icon/pixelart