Soviet-Era Arcade Games

If American teenagers during the Cold War ever stopped to consider how their Eastern bloc counterparts spent the weekend, they probably imagined dreary groups of Red Youth robotically singing hymns to Soviet wheat production and discussing the glories of socialist brotherhood from Hanoi to Havana.

They likely would have been surprised to know that in movie theaters, train stations and recreation centers across the U.S.S.R., packs of Soviet youth huddled around upright video games with coins lined up along the edge of the screen, same as at any mall in Jersey.

More...

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 6/7/2007 08:55  |    9 | Source

Mykola (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/9/2007 13:44

actually the article is quite well written, and the accompanying photo gallery is cool as well, it actually had some machines I didn't even play when I was a kid (and I thought I'd play them all)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/9/2007 12:14
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. So the west's propaganda is wrong again. Big surprise.

At least they didn't perpetuate the stereotype that all Soviet children had to eat all their borscht and drink all their vodka before they get dessert (more borscht).

Gas 13 (Level 9 Boss) @ 6/9/2007 10:55
Nah, it's all Sedge's fault! :)

Mykola (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/9/2007 06:59
the Ruskies were mad at Gas' comment when he said consoles were never popular in xUSSR, not Sedge :D

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/8/2007 18:32
Sedge, see what you did. You riled up all them Ruskies.

Dejital (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/8/2007 00:01
Yeah most of my friends in Russia have or have had a Dendy or a Sega. I myself had the Dendy equivalent of an NES.

I think nowadays PC gaming is the big thing, though.

Commodore (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/7/2007 10:44
I live in Estonia which used to be part of USSR. We had a MegaDrive years and years and years before a computer.

Mykola (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/7/2007 10:03

you kidding me? in the early 90's, in Kiev 9 out of 10 kids had a NES or Mega Drive (and not many had computers back then), and pirate cartridges (+ chinese knockoff NES consoles) were EVERYWHERE, from markets to malls.

Gas 13 (Level 9 Boss) @ 6/7/2007 09:50
Edit: Nonsense comment.

my avatar icon/pixelartAmiga Top-down Dungeon icon/pixelartBelinda, fanart from AFK Arena icon/pixelartHexScene icon/pixelart