FINALLY, A NEW STREET FIGHTER GAME!!

I guess it's true what they say; Pretty soon, everything will have to be switched to HIgh-Def. And when I say everything, I mean it. Even the world's first successful fighting game franchise. That's right, nerds. All you Street Fighter fanboys wake up and rejoice! Capcom, along with it's Udon comics partner, have apparently been working on a new Street Fighter game. The sprites for the old Street Fighter 2 games will be completely redrawn and remastered in high def, and presented in high res up to 1080 pi. I'm excited to see what eye candy Udon artists can provide us Street Fighter whores, to keep up company until official word leaks out, of a new Street Fighter 4!(we can only hope...)

My only problem, is this; after looking at the new game art for the game, it seems as if all sprites are being redone to look like the trademark Udon comics style. Again, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as anything new is always welcome in my book. However, with this recent revelation, there is the problem that a game that initially started as a game filled with traditional pixel art, will now be practically non-existent of it. As an aspiring pixel artist, I question myself whether this should or should not catch fire. If it does, there would most definitely be consequences for pixel artists like myself, whose interest in pixel art was piqued with Street Fighter game sprites.

Remember, Street Fighter was one of the foremost, if not THE foremost, fighting game that set fire to many clones, and knock offs (not to mention other successful 2d fighting games, such as the KOF series, darkstalkers, and the main reason/inspiration for updating the sprites to high res themselves, Guilty Gear). The problem is what if other fighters turn suit, and decide to go with high res/digital scans of game sprites, rather than pixel them. We all know kids now a days wet themselves over ridiculous over-the-top graphics, despite the fact that some of these eye-candy filled games suffer from extreme game play issues. This would mean no jobs for artists like myself, and an ever omniscient force coming down to the pixel world to eventually slay pixel art forever. I know it's a bit dramatic for now, but it is something to consider. Thoughts, or comments?

More info can be found all over the "internetz", but for specifics, check out the article at IGN, here.

Posted by The B.O.B. @ 6/3/2007 20:18  |    10

(~Miguel~) (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/7/2007 23:20
Thinking about it Pixel art came about because of memory constraints wouldn't you think every game developer in the early 90's would shoot for this? Even though Pixel art in games will be "obsolete" in games it will still be a form of art.

rabidbaboy (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 6/5/2007 19:05

Yeah, it's something all spriters fear; the time when "pixelling" will be obsolete.

But being a fighter fan/button masher game fan myself, I can't wait to see what they dish out.

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 6/4/2007 06:41
You've got to give props to UDON.. What a giant contribution they have given to the classic Capcom games like Street Fighter and Rival Schools in the past few years.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 6/3/2007 23:46

I don't mind having a heavily animated idle pose, but when in game it was just off putting. Your right about the guilty gear anims, and I also would'nt go for something as stiff as KOF. But then again given time, people will just get used to it. I'm up for any 2D fighter to be released. (I just hope they sort out the balance of the characters. Dhalsim, Zangeif and Akuma were just dominating hard!)

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/3/2007 23:33
The B.O.B.: Yeah, I'll give major props to SNK for putting so much effort into SvC Chaos. That Dhalsim sprite? HOT!
The funny thing about Guilty Gear is that though the sprites are high-res, the animation is crap. If Capcom can give us high quality sprites + SFIII animation, I'll be quite happy. Though many people find the SFIII sprites "over animated", I felt it necessary given the parrying aspect of the game. Now that I think about it... if SSF2T is remade and they give us parrying, I'll crap my pants (gleefully).
I could see Capcom going the 3D route, and that's not necessarily bad. It could be done tastefully. I'd be okay with some pseudo 2D cell-shading. I'm not okay with realistic-looking Street Fighter art. The portraits of the Capcom characters in CvS--- Ooof. Poor Guile.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 6/3/2007 23:21
I'm actually more worried about the animation if anything else. Original StreeFighter and the Alpha editions, had the "feel" for timings locked down. However, StreetFighter 3 was just too over animated. I had real difficulty in registering how long and where a hit would land.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/3/2007 22:52
Although I appreciate the clean and crisp animated style of the original pixel art, I must admit that I don't care that much for fighting games.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/3/2007 22:42
   Ah, yeah, I know it's not necessarily a remake, but most definitely something different, rather than some re-hashed, pre-dated street fighter alpha sprites. That's why I left the "...to keep us company until official word leaks out of a new Street Fighter 4!(we can only hope...)" remark in there. Also, I don't think it's going to be "just" a remake. I'm pretty sure, Udon is going to add some nice, gritty, comic, shiny graphics for the new style of the game (although not too original.) Also, I'm guessing there is going to be some zooming in after characters move in closer together, ala Guilty Gear and Samurai Shodown. And if this is where they are heading with Street Fighter 2d wise, than you can most definitely expect the Guilty Gear vs. Street Fighter game REAL soon (as Capcom execs. have openly stated that they are willing to collaborate in the near future...)
   And yes I agree with your latter statement. I think it's sad that Capcom is too damn lazy to actually try and revamp some of their old ass sprites like Morrigan. I mean, they still use the same damn Demitri sprite from Dark Stalkers, while Snk, THEIR FRIGGIN' FIGHTING GAME RIVAL, was nice enough to update Demitri ( which in my opinion, is 10X better than Capcom's...). Big WTF on that one. I'm just hoping that if Capcom decides to make another 2d Street fighter game, I would wish that it's animation was just as smooth and 'purtty as SF 3 animations, if not better.
   And if 3D(**shudder**) is the way to go, I REALLY hope that they can collaborate with Namco designers, to get the realistic effect they get with their Tekken, and Soul Calibur games. It is possible, considering they've already collaborated with the "Capcom vs. Namco" strategy game (albeit, it was 2d). Either way, it's something new. I just wish it was actually something COMPLETELY new. And in that aspect, I can most definitely  see where you are coming from, Monsoon2D...

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/3/2007 22:16
The problem is that it's NOT a new Street Fighter game; It's a remake of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and that makes me sad. Why go through all of this effort to remake an old Street Fighter game instead of trying to create a new one? Not that I wasn't happy with Capcom Fighting Evolution.
Nevertheless, I'm happy that they're going the high-res route. Perhaps they'll finally remake that damn Morrigan sprite.

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 6/3/2007 21:21
More definition is better, and you really can't start pixeling at that size.

Face it, bigger is better. Pixel art fighter games have no future on console. Maybe on handhelds yes, but not on consoles.

Three-eyed angel icon/pixelartBelinda, fanart from AFK Arena icon/pixelartIt's a me, Victor Sena! icon/pixelartTeam Seven icon/pixelart