Pixel Joint rules refresher

Recently, there has been some “confusion” as to what pixel art is here, and what is and isn’t allowed to be submitted into the gallery.  Furthermore, once and for all, the staff are going to define what pixel art is defined as here on Pixel Joint.  Other sites and even within our community definitions do vary. Because it leads to confusion and because the pixelart artform is what we all should be focused on as a community, we will begin being slightly stricter than we have been in the past.

YOU and ONLY you must be the creator of the art.  Lineart from others is generally accepted when clearly stated in the description.  However, if you did not create the majority of the piece, it does not belong in your gallery.  Tracing in some circumstances is allowed, such as tracing a sketch you made. References are also OK, again with proper description and links. If you are not sure, ask a senior member or a staff member. Better yet, use the forum and get feedback from other members.

Edits are NEVER allowed. Just because you gave Mario a new green hat, or put a smiley face on an apple you found on Google does not make it yours.

Color reductions are not pixel art and are not welcome in the gallery. This includes color reduxes of your own work or work created by others. Color reduxes of work created by others is also considered art theft.

Pixel art must be art with absolute attention paid to the placement of each and every pixel.  Additionally, careful consideration should be paid to each and every color used. We are not as strict about this, but optimizing your palettes is highly recommended. If you can not account for the placement for each and every pixel, it is not pixel art.

If you use a program, other than MSPaint, the following tools will render your art as non-pixel art: Brush, blur, smudge, shape tool, sharpen tool, burn tool, sponge tool, or any other tool with anti-aliasing turned on.  If you are not sure, ask a senior member or a staff member.

If the staff suspects something to not be pixel art, we may request a WIP (work in progress) steps, reference photos/images, etc.  If you are creating something rather big and detailed, it is HIGHLY recommended that you save your steps in the event this happens.

Here on Pixel Joint, you have 2 strikes. The first time you submit non-pixel art (NPA), rip (work stolen from someone else), or color redux (color reductions), you will be warned and told to review the rules.  The second time, you will receive a ban of no less than 60 days up to a lifetime ban. In the coming weeks, the staff and a select group of senior members will be doing a gallery audit, in which time all NPA, rips, and redux found will be removed.  If you have any, you have two weeks from the date of this announcement to remove them without penalty. Any NPA, rips, and redux found remaining in the gallery after this time will result in your first strike.

Pixel Joint is dedicated to being the #1 pure pixel art gallery on the net. Pixel Joint values and respects each and every member unless given a reason to do otherwise, and the community would prefer you to retain that respect.

If you have art that is not pure pixel art, there are other sites that will accept it, as we will not.  Like what was stated several times, if you are not sure, do yourself a favor, and ask someone!

Posted by Ensellitis @ 5/17/2007 17:16  |    50

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/21/2007 20:07
PJ art type is super-simple:  GIF or PNG painted pixel by pixel (within reason).

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 5/21/2007 12:19
you cant use rollovers on pixeljoint, you can only submit static art that can be animated.

6dof (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/21/2007 08:27

Good idea to create some specific rules but I have a question:

Can you use things such as rollovers or mouse click on your art instead of just a plain animation?

I do not know if it would work in th first place on this site but I would want to know.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/20/2007 23:22
Cool! Nice one on the font info (I thought as much! )

mikl3 (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/20/2007 22:57
viva pixeljoint!
7/7 + fav
God bless you!

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 5/20/2007 16:29
i, like jal, make my own fonts...  however, using arial or comic sans WILL result in me revising your piece.  why spend hours on something then take a shortcut for text?

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 5/20/2007 14:07
lmao @ jal. very smart.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/20/2007 08:05
I use pixelfonts I created myself (fontographer) and feel that's OK since I made those by hand, one pixel at a time. I have a problem with system fonts being used tho.

I like bullets too, that way when one rule is broken the member can be shot ;)

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/20/2007 06:16
Just wondering on things like fonts. So far I've done all the fonts on my pictures by hand, but I was wondering if you are allowed to use fonts that are already built into your software.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 5/20/2007 04:40
when absolutely needed for the editor, i just paste into word, do the styling, then copy and paste back here...

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/20/2007 01:58
Imagician speaks the truth... we definitely should build this into a numbered rule system and keep it in a very obvious place.

Part of the motivation behind limiting template pieces is because so many people half-ass it. Lil Dudes and Wees typically show little effort and we'd like to kill that.  Imagician's Lil Dudes and Monsoon2D's Wees are perfect examples of the type of excellent work that can be done with templates and the whole reason those projects continue to be open.  The Joint usually has higher quality overall, but even then people can get pretty lazy.  We want people to challenge themselves here... there's enough "doodle" websites out there as it is.

As for the editor being messed up... that's totally my fault. I have a super-aggressive tag checker on the server side that needs to allow both <b> and <strong> and both <em> and <i> through.  I know that one of each is allowed -- just can't remember which. I'll take a peak at it this week.

sausage (Level 5 Sniper) @ 5/20/2007 01:40

My guess of a Doodle,  is Random "Sketches" that take no longer than 10 mins.

But i guess doodle's should be taken lightly...     as these could progress further, into a big, Pixelled piece of art,   But of course,  We already know that un-finished work shouldn't be posted, unless being a FULL WIP.

Guts (Level 2 Corporal) @ 5/20/2007 01:31
Euh, sorry, what is a doodle ?

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 5/19/2007 16:18
Imagician, good call!
~ Yeah, no more doodles.
~ With projects using templates, our new enforced rule means only those who have spent a considerable amount of effort in their pieces will be accepted. This is why hardly any lil dudes are being accepted these days.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/19/2007 13:51
ie. "See rule 34"

Imagician (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 5/19/2007 13:36
CircleOfTheDarkOnes > Only a sith deals in absolutes

I have an addional suggestion: You shouldn't only make the rules into a bulleted list, but also a numbered one. Since I guess the reason behind all this is easier administration and less hassle when rejecting, numbering would be helpful when pointing out to a certain rule to indicate the reason for rejection.

CircleOfTheDarkOnes (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 5/19/2007 13:28
IMHO, ripping should result in an instant lifetime ban.
Stealing is wrong, children.

Imagician (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 5/19/2007 12:59
Is it just me or does bold not work with the FCKEditor thing? Just noticed my bullet-headlines didn't become bold like I did them

Imagician (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 5/19/2007 12:58
Interesting. What was the goal behind this action? Do you think it will improve the quality of the posts? At least it will cause the quantity tend to be reduced

• No more doodles?
    Does that mean doodles are no longer allowed?
  • Projects (partially) using templates
    What about projects including templates? Like stamps or little dudes.. especially in the latter example a relatively big part is potentially being "reused".
  • More convenient ruleset reception
    Gosh, I really didn't feel like reading that big chunk of rules (but I did it anyway ;), written like a short story or diary entry. You should make it a bulleted list with headlines and details like this one.
Just my two cents. Thanks

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 5/19/2007 08:28
Lol.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/18/2007 18:33
and 5ss. and 6ss. and ass.

kakikukeko (Level 5 Detective) @ 5/18/2007 17:14
As long as you have perfect control on every pixel, you are even allowe to do it with your 4ss ...

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/18/2007 16:45
It's deafening.

eckered (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/18/2007 15:32
is pixeling with your toes aloud?

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 5/18/2007 14:05
Blood will spill....

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 5/18/2007 13:47
I already know the rules, but I reread anyway. Good shtuff.

Yay, we are number 1.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 5/18/2007 10:53
The Rustbug underworld is bringing together its forces as we speak... soon my pretties, SOOON.

*cough* so leik, cool.

Anlina S. (Level 6 Manager) @ 5/18/2007 10:49
I see how it is... Ens will do an edit for PB to strike out communist, but I'm still Queen of the Harpies. I knew you guys didn't love me.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/18/2007 10:41
Let sedge and the pixel police wipe this town clean of all offenders!

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/18/2007 10:38
Nicely put out.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 5/18/2007 10:28

let the NPA Hunt begin

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/18/2007 10:03
@Jalonso: bastard...
@TINC:  Why do you hate Big Brother, Cure? ;3

@everyone else: I tend to lean more towards the communist side. Equal, commie love for everyone!!

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/18/2007 08:30
I'm a fascist monkey thank you very much.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/18/2007 07:48
Yes.  Fascist pigs.  DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER!

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/18/2007 06:22
Nice one! I apologise for being slightly neglectant in my adminy duties. My explaination is that: Like your favourite section of the video store I am currently 'mainly concerned with sex,' and other creative pursuits.

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 5/18/2007 06:18
I don't like this at all. I don't think your fascist policy will help this community.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/18/2007 05:16
Oh well, I guess B.O.B will have to get a whole new gallery :/

Guts (Level 2 Corporal) @ 5/18/2007 03:04
I think I'm a little responsible for that ... but the precision was nessessary.

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 5/18/2007 02:59
Another triumph of the order of the Knights of the Pure Pixel!

jamon (Level 10 Operative) @ 5/18/2007 02:56
WORD! nice news!

Gas 13 (Level 9 Boss) @ 5/18/2007 02:49
A really good news. I nearly thought the situation is left without any decision.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/18/2007 02:35
what's a fossil?

@Ens: how'd you get it to work for you? I've tried editing my other post and it doesn't work

OMGFossil (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/18/2007 01:58
whats a pixel

horcy (Level 2 Corporal) @ 5/18/2007 01:00
Sounds like a solid plan. Good initiative to maintain the high quality of this site

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 5/18/2007 00:39
jesus, do i have to do EVERYTHING around here?  :P

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/18/2007 00:17
@The B.O.B. - you are the TacoTime to my Taco Bell.

@everyone - you can expect more of these news items in the future as we strive towards creating the ultimate communist utopian pixel society

(edit: it sucks that the WYSIWYG doesn't actually allow usage of the strikethrough, bold, etc. functions. For those confused by my 2 posts, there should've been a strikethrough through "harpies" and "communist"... use your imagination kids)

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/17/2007 23:33
I was hoping for something like this awhile ago as it avoids confusions.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/17/2007 21:51
"Pixelblink- Taco Supreme Overlord"

Aww, I wish I could be the Taco Supreme Overlord. Why, I'm so angered that PB was dubbed that title, that I shall forever loathe him, and become his new arch enemy: The Taco Supreme Underlord!!!

And props go to the capitans here, over tightening the quality of submissions. I honestly believe that this should be a step forward toward better pixel art in the near future...Hopefully.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 5/17/2007 21:17
word.  even though i seem like an asshole most of the time...  if you pm me with a legitimate and semi-professional question, i am very cool about.

pms like "hey dawg, wat up with my revision?!" is a no no...  "you revised [piece name w/ link], what is the reason behind it" or "can you tell me if [link to piece] would be accepted into the gallery?  is [something] considered NPA?" are the best ways to start.  talk to us like you would someone you respect (atleast act like you do), and the outcome will be good...  do otherwise, and you may be ignored.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/17/2007 21:04
hear! hear!

for those of you having questions and are not sure who to talk to, you can easily use the contact form to get ahold of one of us. OR, if you aren't sure who the active admin/mod team are, let me do a role call for you:
  • Sedgemonkey - Supreme Overlord and owner of PJ
  • Pixelblink - Taco Supreme Overlord
  • Ensellitis - Noobian Police Patroller
  • iStvan - The Outback Crusader
  • Larwick - Overseer of the Rustbug underworld
  • Blueberry_Pie - King Pie to you
  • Anlina S. - Queen of the Harpies Pixels
  • Jalonso - Emperor of the Iso
While I make us sound like terrible people, trying to control your lives, we are actually very approachable if you make with the nice words and don't put up a fight.

Goblin Urchin icon/pixelartOldStuff2 icon/pixelartLuoTianyi icon/pixelartnightchief ninja icon/pixelart