Vista reviewed

So here we go...  The good, then bad, and the ugly on Microsoft Windows Vista.  This is by no means an extremely in depth review, if you want one of those, go to CNET

When you first install it, Microsoft wants to give you the feeling that you are stepping into the future.  The installation is much prettier than any previous versions of windows.  But this of course comes at a cost, your RAM.  Yes, it eats your ramz.

If you are lucky enough to have a fair amount of RAM (512mb+), then you are good to go.  However, if you have anything below 512, don't bother with Vista, keep XP.  While Vista has many security improvements over XP, they are not significant enough for you to have to upgrade.

For you older folks out there who remember Windows 3.1 and switching to the new Windows 95, prepare for some deja vu.  Vista has changed many things that you have spent years getting used to.  It took me an hour to connect to my home network, with XP it takes me about 45 seconds.

My laptop contains a 128mb video card and 2gb of RAM, even with that, I found times that their new look, with transparencies on all the windows, there were times of lag.  Photoshop takes twice as long to load on an initial run.  Another annoyance I found...  Vista asks you for permission all the time.  When Vista wanted to update my clock since it was off, I got a pop up.  Every time a wireless network was detected, I got pop ups until I figured out how to turn them off.

Now, Vista isn't all bad.  Yes, it is a much prettier interface overall.  The new sidebar is great.  It has a small notepad, a digital clock, calendar, RSS feed reader, and a few other widgets.  Windows Explorer has been made much easier to navigate through.   Not to mention the new encryption makes it 10 times harder for a hacker to get your datas.

A few more features that deserve some mention:  The alt+tab is completely new.  Now it shows all the windows skewed and rotate in 3d.  A very nice effect.  And when you hover over open programs in your task bar, a small thumbnail of what you have open appears.  Best of all, voice control.  Tell your computer to open Internet Explorer, it does.  Tell it to open Word, then tell it what to write...  It does.

Now the worst part about Vista: There is a total of 5 versions!  Ultimate, Home Premium, Home Basic, Business, and Enterprise.  Your typical home user will only realy have to decide between the 2 home editions.  Businesses have their work cut out for themselves.  Here is a list of the editions and information.

Conclusion:
Pros:
Pretty interface and new icons
A useful Sidebar
Strong encryptions
Build in Spy ware tools
Voice recognition

Cons:
Eats memory
Already has 2 CRITICAL updates
Many easy tasks in XP have been changed enough to make it harder to do in Vista
To many versions

Final thoughts:
If XP works for you, then stick with it.  Vista isn't work it at the moment, in my opinion.  I will be waiting at least 6 months before I update again, since I uninstalled it right after I wrote this review, giving them plenty of time to iron out all the bugs.  There are also still thousands of programs not compatible with Vista, so give the vendors time to catch up.

Posted by Ensellitis @ 2/1/2007 06:46  |    19

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 2/3/2007 21:04
i wouldnt count on it.

Kobun (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/3/2007 20:16

I have heard of websites offering widgets for the sidebar

Will there be a pixel joint widget? maybe show a preview of the latest works or let you know if someone left you a message.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 2/3/2007 03:51
Used the beta at a training course a while ago.  Ain't worth upgrading too in my opinion.  What bugs me most though is the amount of hard drive space it takes up (I like to use my space for songs and vids and my projects thanks and can't afford to buy bigger hard drives all the time, surely an OS doesn't need THAT much space, I used run a stripped down Workbench on my Amiga for all the essential functions just off a floppy disk... can't Windows get in under 100mb at least?) and all the power it needs to run effectively.  I got a better PC to boost performance from the programs that run under Windows, not so much Windows itself. I wasn't exactly taken by it's 3d interface stuff.  Just seems overly fancy for even doing the simplest little thing.  Hell, I only upgraded to XP from 2000 (forced to by program updates that wouldnt use 2000 any more) only cos I got told I could give it 2000's simple stripped down look instead of the kiddycrap looking XP default scheme which is most likely what I'd do with Vista so what's the point...?

That bit in the news about the speech recognition bug thing was amusing though.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 2/2/2007 19:46
i have been playing castle of the winds for years, and still do.  graphics arent everything.  besides, any game you could want to play can be played on linux, my next os.  if you believe that graphics are everything, then you are at the wrong site, and have some growing up to do

and ONCE again, microsoft will make its os, but it wont make sure every controller works, it is up to the vendor to fix the problems, not microsoft.

Twizzler (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/2/2007 17:51
graphics are pretty much everything.  hotkeys will almost undoubtably still be programmable and controllers will work.  Microsoft wouldn't make it so controllers didn't work.  Even if they didn't work for some odd reason you will still have your xp comp.  as for the proramming site, just wait a few weeks for people to crack and find out things and look for a site like xptweaks.com.

Monkey 'o Doom (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/2/2007 17:17

Graphics aren't everything. Some of us are still playing Zork/Dungeon and typing stuff in to save our skins from ravenous grues.

I'm worried about my little programs that might not be updated in the future being useless in Vista. I have some for controlling my hotkeys and game controllers and other stuff I use a lot. I can't wait until there's an article someplace about programming for Vista.

Twizzler (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/2/2007 15:40
well.. o well.  by the time you probably get your next computer you will grow bored of the games for xp and get the ones for vista which will have better graphics.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 2/2/2007 07:39
don't count on it.  80% of the time, they require that the vendor of the game create a patch for their software.

and those glitches were bug security flaws/memory leaks that WERE reported during beta testing, and i know this because i beta tested AND reported them 6 months ago

Twizzler (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/2/2007 07:32
i don't know... but I can almost gurantee it that microsoft is making an update for it right now.  They're not stupid.  When they realize that not being able to run some games effected their sales, they are going to fix that problem.

silent sniper (Level 1 Depressed) @ 2/1/2007 21:20

and microsoft didnt just keep with those occasional updates because......

ah screw, i want a mac

Twizzler (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/1/2007 20:28
theres 2 big updates because its brand new.  Don't buy it yet, wait for them to work the glitches out.  All new things have glitchs.  PS 3, Xbox 360, etc...

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/1/2007 17:49
*ripped*

resistance is futile

Blick (Level 6 Commander) @ 2/1/2007 15:57
They actually call the Vista version of widgets "gadgets". They also copied the 3D chess game from OSX, and a lot of superficial things (such as OSX's Spotlight search, the photo organizer etc.) from OSX. Basically, I think of it as an OSX that you can hook your 360 controllers into and with more effects I don't need or want.

I think I'm going to end up a Mac or Linux person. I really don't like how Vista has basically added a bunch of effects that'll only take up more resources, and that they're already making a service pack for it. I miss my Windows 98. In fact, I run XP with the look of Windows 98. Definitely was my favorite version of Windows ever.

veemobil (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/1/2007 15:14
Not the widget show?.

So its like x-box windows.

BruceJuice (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 2/1/2007 13:25
I know when XP came out, many things funtioned fine using the good ole' 98. Waiting for all the kinks to be un-kinked will be best. I may wait a bit longer than 6 months though.

Monkey 'o Doom (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/1/2007 12:12

Damn, I don't think I could stand the 3d windows or the sidebar for an hour. I'm definitely sticking with XP until I'm sure I can turn those off.

I've heard bad things about the file-browsing interface, does anyone know how different it is from previous versions?

@chris: The things on the side bar are essentially widgets, little boxes with all sorts of stuff people never knew they needed but can't live without. Such things include sports scores, translators(buggy as all get out, obviously), weather, clocks in different time zones, and general productivity-decreasers.

DeathByChris (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/1/2007 10:46
what in the hell is a widget?

ceddo (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 2/1/2007 10:16
Guess who they got the widgets idea from? Haha.

Stone Practice icon/pixelartetails/ icon/pixelartDread Engine - Sons of Peril icon/pixelartAmiga Top-down Dungeon icon/pixelart