Hasta la vista, baby

Unless you lived in a cave pixeling with charcoal and eating bugs, you know there has been a lot of talk about Microsoft's latest operating system, Vista.

But, has Microsoft realized they aren't the power house that they once were?  The "Release party" was almost a complete failure.  Back during the release of Windows 95, the empire state building in New York City changed many of their lights to make the Windows logo in the logo's colors...

However, this release, there was no huge party...    In Manhattan, NY, CompUSA was planning on staying open until 2am after the midnight release of Vista, most of the customers, all 100 of them, were gone by 12:40am (Source).

And now, combined with the news of 90% of games possibly not working on Vista, and the European Commission planning on filing anti-trust charges, has Microsoft built its own coffin?

I will be doing a review of Vista the beginning of next week and see if it is really worth the upgrade.

Posted by Ensellitis @ 1/31/2007 05:31  |    19

DeathByChris (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/1/2007 08:20
Im cool with XP.

khorin (Level 1 Private) @ 2/1/2007 06:07
So I take it we really won't be missing out on much if we don't upgrade...

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 2/1/2007 01:38
I can't quite figure out what the hell MS is trying to do.  The upgrade path is so damn confusing... I was stunned when they released two desktop versions of XP and now they've splintered it even further with Vista.  Why are they dicking with their customers like this?

Snake (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/1/2007 00:38

I had the option to buy Vista when I upgraded last week. I didn't as it's new and compatability and bugs will still take a while to sort out. I run XP and don't think I'll change that anytime soon.

All the fancy eyecandy in Vista have been in Linux for ages and I don't see anything about it to make me want to "upgrade". I think I can live without bending and wobbling 3d menus.

Microsoft have done an exelent marketing job. I mean, their slogan right now is: "Wow. Vista is here." I can just feel the exitement. That, and they made people stand during their presentation at the digital convention this week.

BruceJuice (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 1/31/2007 22:50
I am currently working at Staples, we got to run around a bit on some display laptops that had Vista on it...at the moment, I am really not impressed, rather dissapointed really. I'm gonna say that the majority of XP users will not need to upgrade for a while, if they do at all.

silent sniper (Level 1 Depressed) @ 1/31/2007 19:57

id say only about... enhh... 5-8% of the north american population even know about it. and besides, it sucks. apple pwns ms

-Fizz- (Level 1 Rookie) @ 1/31/2007 18:12
In OSX, you go to the drop down menu from the Apple icon to shut it down.. I guess that doesn't symbolize anything or maybe it could be turning off "The Apple"?

Monkey 'o Doom (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 1/31/2007 16:32

The windows key is my favorite one. By pressing Windows+1, I open IE. By pressing Windows+2, I open MS Paint. By pressing Windows+3, I open the calculator. By pressing Windows+4, I open Explorer. By pressing Windows+5, I open Notepad, and by pressing Windows+6, I open the registry editor. Sure, you didn't need to kow all that. But it does wonders for my productivity. Until you switch to the keyboard, the mouse seems great. But once you do, you wonder how you survived having to click on stuff.

@Freon: Vista sounds like it is copying off of Apple, with the GUI especially. I think XP trumps all the versions of Mac OS I've tried, and it'll probably beat out Vista too. I just wish my copy could get IE7.

@ceddo: The start button lets you shut it down, oh snap. And in Mac OS 9 I have to go to 'special' to do that. What's so special about shutting my computer down? Most people do that somewhere around daily.

@circle: If you do, you probably aren't getting enough out of your current computer that you'd really have a need to switch.

Womped (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 1/31/2007 16:10
It's hard for me to press the windows key, since I ripped both of them out.

CircleOfTheDarkOnes (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 1/31/2007 14:49
dont you have to add a bunch of hardware to your machine to make it work?

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 1/31/2007 13:58
I know. You're saying that hitting a "START" button in order to terminate a session is retarded. I get it.

Go ahead and site examples about how Mac is better than Windows and watch as just about very Windows user will disagree.  (It work's the other way around as well.) It's a pointless debate, and one that is best avoided.

ceddo (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 1/31/2007 13:24
Lol, but this is a great opportunity to prove that apple PWNS microsoft. (and windows + u is a shortcut. They're made to make things faster, but speed isn't my point.)

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 1/31/2007 13:17
Ah... I know many of you have Apple Pride, but don't turn this into an Apple vs Microsoft debate. That's hardly what this is about. This is about the current version of Windows possibly sucking larger balls.

(And ceddo, it's not terribly difficult to press the windows key on the keyboard and then U.)

Feron (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 1/31/2007 13:07
M$ have just ripped off OS X. Apple have always been better than microsoft, in quality, design and appearance. Microsoft, like the dicks that they are, have just stolen half the features. if i used windows it would have to be '98.

ceddo (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 1/31/2007 12:23
Long live the utter counter-intuitiveness of having to click a 'Start' button to shut down a computer too.

Blick (Level 6 Commander) @ 1/31/2007 12:19
I'm going to switch to Mac or Linux before I ever go to Vista.

I think my current computer would lag to hell with all the fancy graphics that aren't needed anyhow, or at least be unnecessarily strained.

ceddo (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 1/31/2007 12:07
Long live the supremacy of macs!

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 1/31/2007 10:30
If Vista is anything like the new version of Office, I'm not upgrading. Period.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/31/2007 09:19
I actually have a free upgrade coupon for Vista and I'm seriously debating whether to use it or not.  That 90% game number can't possibly be accurate, but I am conerned that my miscellaneous utilities won't work.

Rachel icon/pixelartBanished Alchemist icon/pixelartKirby icon/pixelartApple Tree icon/pixelart