US Bans Vegemite

Banning an Austrailian staple food in the US has got to be one of the most bizarre bans ever.  I have an Austrailian friend living here in the US who puts the funky, salty spread on bread instead of peanut butter and I'm sure she'll be crushed by this.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 10/22/2006 12:21  |    11 | Source

bren (Level 1 Depressed) @ 10/28/2006 00:34
What a crazy ban... i'm australian and not only is vegemite good on toast but it's ever better on saladas... you guys have saladas don't you? the trick is to apply it lightly. OH and what the hell is a drop bear? cus i've never know and i can't figure it out... do you mean a kaola?

Sohashu (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 10/27/2006 00:24
Those Bastards!  Storm down the walls!  iSTVAN, we are going contraband.  Next they will be telling us that Milo is doesn't make us go and go and go and that importing Drop Bears as foreign pets will result in a life sentence.  :D

Bob_Jones (Level 2 Peon) @ 10/25/2006 16:54
This is just a rumour. The FDA recently said there is no ban on the stuff.

Nevhkah (Level 1 Depressed) @ 10/24/2006 12:50
Is there any more reliable news source? When I google it, I get a bunch of blogs.

Anyway, I went digging through the FDA's website; I found nothing about Australia, but I did find some UK products that either a) didn't file their paperwork properly; b) didn't register with something or other on time;  c)  had a product containing a color additive that didn't jive with regulation #8435WTF7293arghDAMNITghgry24w, etc.
All about paperwork and such, it seems.

I've never tried vegemite, but I've tried marmite. Didn't like it or dislike it, though my sister likes to eat it right out of the jar, lol.

DayDream (Level 4 Deputy) @ 10/23/2006 21:52
This is plain insane... and good laugh over here in Australia... Americans can eat themselves "super-sized" without a problem but something like vegemite is simply too healthy...

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 10/23/2006 16:54
just looked up vegemite to make sure and yup - no fungi.  it's just an extract.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 10/23/2006 16:49
i had it once, liked it.  only reeason i tried it was because of Men at Work :P but it wasnt bad.  very plain....but not bad.

what i dont get is the whole folate issue

pros of folate -
B vitamin, helps prevent cancer, helps treat anemia, necessary for DNA and RNA replication
cons of folate -
um......are there any?  i could see banning certain types of yeast that make folates (many of those are already banned, and the cheese industry suffers) but i didnt think vegemite contained any fungal growths?

conclusion - the FDA is a weapon of crass destruction being controlled by paranoid xenophobes that pass bizarre regulations based on whimsy and not the needs of their people

d-p (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 10/23/2006 15:45
Be glad that your gov protects all you over there, I still have to nuke those cruel vegemite thingies by myself.

Aleiav (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 10/23/2006 10:12
e_e good grief.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 10/22/2006 23:51
I can send you an illegal shipment. Meet me by the docks. Have the money ready. Come alone :P

Totally bizarre though. I love the stuff.

Lynx- (Level 1 Depressed) @ 10/22/2006 21:43

I always wanted to try a vegemite sandwich after hearing the song "Down Under" by Men at Work and now it looks like I'll never be able to.

Curious Box icon/pixelartGhibli Tea Set icon/pixelartZip and Swell icon/pixelartCorvus Rogue icon/pixelart