Extreme Ride Theory

As an avid amusement park enthusiast (Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain and Universal Studios are all a short drive for me) I was somewhat suprised by the data collected at London's Dana Centre on the thrill ride experience...

"We've actually been getting some interesting data -- it appears the subjects' heart rates are highest in anticipation of riding. It drops during the actual ride."

Makes sense I suppose, but I know my heart jumps looking down the track on Goliath's first drop. How about you guys?

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 10/19/2006 10:49  |    8 | Source

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/23/2006 10:42
'Oblivion' - Woooosh.. I bought the mug, it rocked so much.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 10/22/2006 21:04
I have a blast during the ride, but it sucks before the ride because I'm so nervous...I hate it.

SeanGraal (Level 1 Rookie) @ 10/20/2006 10:40
theres not much anticipation when you use the express lanes for rides...but still, that's some weird stuff. i still think my heart rate is high on the big rides. like the raging bull at six flags great america ... or the superman

zAk (Level 3 Stalker) @ 10/20/2006 09:39
The only real roller coaster i went to is the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz - that is the coolest ride in the world! I mean the start of the ride is about 3 stories high and it is a traditional wooden rollercoaster. It starts off with a jerk and a short steep ride down to ground level which is literally awesome and surprising and then it goes up - my excitement really goes high in the moment the train gets to the very top and you can see the whole view on the ocean and the themepark - then it goes down and it feels like gravity turns off - so for me the excitement is before AND during the ride... especially that i am not a thrill freak so i am usually a bit afraid of rides... zAk

ctrl-alt-delete (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 10/19/2006 21:24
For me it's not just the anticipation of the ride, it's the anticipation of the whole park.  Having something to look forward to is more exciting than anything... kind of like picking out a Halloween costume or hanging Christmas decorations.  Once the thrill actually arrives, I know it'll soon be over.  I just love having something to look forward to.  Anticipation is what makes something thrilling.  Anything can be expected.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 10/19/2006 14:13

Yeah, the big long haul up the track to kick a ride off is certainly one of the most enjoyable times even if we don't realize it.

Thrill rides are such a unique and interesting experience... they're totally safe and passive and yet many riders get terrified approaching the first drop. In my own personal experience, the only time I've felt that exhilarating terror sensation is my first time trying an intense physical activitiy (paintball, downhill skiing, scuba diving, etc). With a roller coaster, you just sit there all strapped in and let a machine drag your ass up and down the track. Such wonderful inventions.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 10/19/2006 11:56

Well, I haven't been to Disney land, and I don't live in California...But I do live in Texas, and we have some good rides in theme parks like 6 flags, fiesta texas, and other water parks like Schlittersbahn.

I kinda' agree with the Scientist's data, mainly because, when riding certain rides, like the Texas Giant for example, the beginning of the ride composes of a long, slow creep to the top right before the biggest drop. During this time, the customers heart is in extreme suspense, awaiting the long drop, just toying with their mental emotions, causing a rise in chemical flow through the brain, which raise other chemicals in the body to be active, causing the heart to beat faster, pumping blood furiously throughout the body.

However, during the ride the heart calms down once the brain realizes that it's experienced the scariest part of the ride( most of the time, it's always the beginning) and begins to stabilize the bodies chemical imbalances giving you a calm like zen during the ride, with smiles, no doubt, on all the faces...

At least, thats how I interperet the data...Wait, did I just repeat everything you just wrote?..Any wayz, I too feel that my body calms down when I go through mid-ride in roller coasters. I assume it's a general feeling for most people.

Souly (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 10/19/2006 11:49
I've only been to one theme park.
And that's the local theme park.
It's a small theme park with lame rides.

So I don't know what it'd be like to go on a huge intense ride.

Duckling Parade icon/pixelartavatar icon/pixelartA Ruined Village icon/pixelartGame of Turns icon/pixelart