Pluto loses status as a planet

Astronomers have voted to strip Pluto of its status as a planet. About 2,500 scientists meeting in Prague have adopted historic new guidelines that see the small, distant world demoted to a secondary category. The researchers said Pluto failed to dominate its orbit around the Sun in the same way as the other planets. The International Astronomical Union's (IAU) decision means textbooks will now have to describe a Solar System with just eight major planetary bodies. Pluto, which was discovered in 1930 by the American Clyde Tombaugh, will be referred to as a "dwarf planet".

Posted by Lawrence @ 8/24/2006 11:28  |    19

halfDemon (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/27/2006 20:38
"My very intelligent mother just said uh-oh! No pluto!" - Stephen Colbert

Sora_Keyheart (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/26/2006 09:27
I just read it in the newspaper, America must be dissapointed, seeing as that was the only planet that they discovered.

Hairyu (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 8/26/2006 03:33
"A far-out Pluto-sized object known as 2003 UB313, currently nicknamed Xena, would also be called a pluton."

Well, Pluto could always be Hercules =P

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 8/25/2006 03:48
jalonso: Uranus will be renamed to Urectum. I heard it on TV!

Niss (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/25/2006 02:37
Now that's mean! This little bugger always stayed on th fringes of the system and tried not to catch anybodies attention. Shy maybe but a nice fella to know. But now it's not a planet anymore? That's fachists for you!

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/24/2006 21:12
So what the news on Your-anus?

crab2selout.png (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/24/2006 19:14
Agreed, Darien, there's no room for poser planets in this solar system. If there's one think I can't stand, it's uncool space rocks trying to pass themselves off as a tres cool planet. I understand that there's been more than a few nukes being passed around in recent years. Might I suggest a fun and interesting use for them?

Darien (Level 2 Dealer) @ 8/24/2006 17:56
It's about time, I always hated Pluto.

HMC (Level 7 General Manager) @ 8/24/2006 17:38
I would have preferred they add a bunch of planets instead of removing one. That'd have been cooler.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 8/24/2006 15:35
This was going on even when I was back at college.  I'd forgotten all about it til I was watching the smarty panel quiz show QI couple years back and it came up as a question.  The answer 9 being stated as wrong.

d-p (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 8/24/2006 14:53
Im so glad 2500 persons managed to find out  that pluto is a dwarf planet. Thats important stuff.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 8/24/2006 14:47
LOL, MarioH20, is that a "Bananas" reference?

I heard that Jupiter lost planet status too.  Is that true?

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 8/24/2006 14:15
It'll still be called pluto, right? Poor pluto D: We need to find out which fact is correct.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/24/2006 14:03
The irony is that the unmanned Pluto mission which was launched 10 years ago and arrives there this year may arrive when its no longer called Pluto.

MarioH2O (Level 4 Button Man) @ 8/24/2006 13:58
This is a travesty, a sham, and a mockery, its a traveshamockery.

Sgrum (Level 5 Captain) @ 8/24/2006 13:20

I read a notice that said that they prpoused add  Charon, Ceres and 2003 UB313  as planets.

Tremulant (Level 1 Gangster) @ 8/24/2006 13:14
I heard the opposite as well, actually, but I haven't exactly been following it faithfully. The whole thing seems a bit asinine to me, though. I mean, personally I care little enough about the whole thing that I'll keep calling it a planet regardless, and, well... I doubt I'm the only one.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/24/2006 13:06
I heard on The Colbert Report the exact opposite.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 8/24/2006 13:01
omg...  i saw a planet decommisioned in my lifetime good find

Recycled Conscript icon/pixelartThe Long (...) Night icon/pixelartEdward and Alphonse icon/pixelartrun icon/pixelart