Pixelart toys

Hooray for pixel graphics in child toys, but is PixelChix  the promotion that pixel artists waited for? "Charming" monochrome pixel graphics on plastic toys for young girls combined with several animations and sound. Visit the product page, watch the tv spot and form your own opinion.

Posted by d-p @ 8/20/2006 08:45  |    9

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 8/29/2006 02:07
Well i have played outrun in the arcade. But that was well in an arcade. As far as cheap production for homeproducts goes there was no huge amounts of colours.

E-Magination (Level 3 Sniper) @ 8/24/2006 06:43
If you played Outrun you would have known colors wherent a problem in 85. (Oh well, OR is from 86)

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 8/21/2006 04:05
heh, indeed looks very clunky. not a fan of it :P
but 8-bit colour in 85? not really. Also i think it is quite a bit more expensive to have colourscreens which overlay static stuff. This method is proven by stuff like game and watch and prolly supercheap today.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 8/20/2006 17:18
This is just patronising to me. Especially when the girl was so incredibly happy that the person on the screen said something. And 2dgamers is right, it may have been exiciting a decade or so ago, but not now, i don't think.

Aleiav (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 8/20/2006 15:50
I'd be nice if it wasn't so annoyingly girly.

Mykola (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 8/20/2006 15:01
Oh man I'm really not digging it.. Miuchiz looked a lot more fun to me

2dgamers (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 8/20/2006 13:35
To bad they use it in a plastic, "Ronald McDonald-toy", environment. It's a bit clunky looking for now-a-days. You would think they would add at least 8-bit color... (That would upgrade it to what, 1985?) The animation seems to be well done though. Does anyone know if it actually has sound/talking... that's a plus. Pixel toys, in my very honest opinion, are taking pixelart/animation out of character. It just doesn't seem to sit right with me. Oh well, it's a new idea that can always be improved, right?!

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/20/2006 13:11
Never seen the commercial, saw the actual product in Target beside that Miuchiz thing Indigo had a hand in.  My friends made fun of PixelChix.

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 8/20/2006 12:01
The TV adverts annoy me.. maybe that's down to the theme tune. A genius idea though, and well animated with a consistent style.. I like to car..

Glass of cola icon/pixelartCreeping Ivy icon/pixelartBanished Alchemist icon/pixelartp30 icon/pixelart