Favorite Cancelled TV Shows

I just watched Serenity last night to wrap up my Firefly journey and I happened to stumble upon this MSN list of the top 10 cancelled TV shows (here's E! Online's list.).  It got me thinking... a lot of my favorite shows seem to get cancelled right quick.  In fact, I have enough favorite dead shows to make my own top 10 list. How sad.

10) Playmakers - Way too melodramatic and I'm not really a football fan, but entertaining nonetheless.
9) Action - Jay Mohr always comes off as a colossal prick so watching him play a super-sleaze producer (thx Manko Jinko) exposing the seamy underbelly of Hollywood seemed perfectly natural.
8) The State - The 90s MTV sketch comedy show had an unbelievably funny cast.  The excellent Reno 911 is loaded with State alum.
7) Twin Peaks -  Weird, sad, funny and just freaking creepy.  Good stuff.
6) Firefly - Genuinely funny and fun Sci-Fi with a great cast and a unique take on the future.

5) Undeclared - Another terrific Apatow project axed before it had a chance to take off.
4) The Tick (live action) - Started slow, but really found its groove a few episodes in.
3) Futurama - One of the funniest shows ever. Right up there with The Simpsons and The Office (and Arrested Development).
2) Arrested Development - Has this show officially been cancelled yet?  Well, if it has it was an enormous mistake. This may sound pretentious, but this show really did have layers and layers of comedy.  (Side note: You'll notice that FOX shows seem to be over-represented on this list and the majority of my favorite runner-ups were aired on FOX too.  What the hell?)
1) Freaks and Geeks - Judd Apatow's funny, sweet and painfully on-the-mark high school dramedy was fantastic from episode one.

What were some of your favorite cancelled shows?

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 5/12/2006 10:25  |    22

Pixel_Outlaw (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 9/14/2006 14:37
I have made some tyP_O's in the last post sorry.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 9/4/2006 00:38
omg, i know i am necroing here, but i miss all those shows p_o

Pixel_Outlaw (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 5/18/2006 09:30
Note: The last post may contain a typo.

Pixel_Outlaw (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 5/18/2006 09:28

Hmmm I must comment on the god old days of NIck where they ahad kids on the shows instead of poorly drawn cartoons.

Salute Your Shorts
Ledgends of the Hidden Temple
Hey Dude!
Atre You Afraid of the Dark?
Nickalodian Guts
Keenan and Kell (sorry)
Rocko's Modern LIfe
That one popscle stick guy Stick Stickly
I nener did like that stupod Doug show though.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/17/2006 01:33
I need more Firefly.... the DVD box set of the series and Serenity and the comic book mini-series are just not enough.

mega-human (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/15/2006 03:36
Thats why Matt Greoning wants you to buy Futurama DVD's so that it can come back, more poeple buy the DVD's the more change Matt Greoning has of getting FOX to bring the show back. Family guy got brought back the same way as Shark has stated.

@Scruffs: There not making the shows anymore but Matt and David Silverman or somebody were trying to bring it back but it didnt, but FOX agreed to making movies :D Mabey one day the Best show in TV history will come back (Futurama).

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/14/2006 23:04
Rocko's Modern Life was definitely a terrific show.   I keep forgetting to check for that on DVD.

@Blick:  You really start to define your own identity once you break the ties of your youth and Undeclared captured that idea with one beautiful scene (and the rest of the show).

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/14/2006 22:42
I think I have seen Rocko's Modern Life DVD's somewhere...but it is very rare for Nickelodeon to release full season DVD's of any of their cartoons. I liked RMF too, but it did begin going down hill with the stories relating to the turtle's children- which I think was the last episode.

Blick (Level 6 Commander) @ 5/14/2006 21:37
I loved Undeclared so much. The very first scene of the pilot episode (I think) had me hooked. He's standing in his room with his friend and is packing stuff up for college and they begin to talk about how they're losers. So they get into a pretty intense "I'm a loser" conversation and while he's caught up in the moment, the main character grabs the X Files poster off his wall and rips it and his friend looks like he just witnessed blasphemy, after a few moments the character realizes what he's done and tries to put the poster back together. It was such a perfect scene.

Rocko's Modern Life was pretty good too and it got cancelled before it had a chance to go downhill. Might've been for the best though. At least it had a good run of 3 seasons, I just wish Joe Murray Studios would get the distribution rights and start pumping out DVDs.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/14/2006 19:07

Futurama NEVER equalled the brilliance of the Simpsons. Whilst the Simpsons have sleeped away from their position as leading social commentators and the best comedy on tv over the last 5 to 7 years, they did hold that position for atleast 10 years. Futurama never quite worked on as many levels, and I found a lot of the minor characters unnecessary and unfunny. But I still enjoyed the show overall.

As for Family Guy, I wish it had remained cancelled.

Scruffs (Level 7 Assassin) @ 5/14/2006 18:55
i dont know where i read this but im pretty sure they're making more futurama episodes.....*crosses fingers*

Shark (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 5/14/2006 15:30
Futurama kicked the shit outa the simpsons. Family Guy got cancelled back in 2002 however it is one of the only shows ever to be brought back by its fan-base. and im so glad it did.

mega-human (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/14/2006 02:52
Futurama was the best show and also my favourite to this day, but theres one good thing about futurama that FOX has officially agreed too..

There making 4 futurama movies!! :D and they have already recorded the voices for the first movie and it should be out 2007 :D

ctrl-alt-delete (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/13/2006 19:07
Invader Zim lasted less than a year and it has a gazillion fans.  It premiered in March 2001 and was cancelled in January 2002, yet to this day Nickelodeon still makes new IZ merchandice.

mccow28 (Level 1 Gangster) @ 5/13/2006 17:09
The only shows on your list that I've seen are The Tick, Futurama, and Arrested Development. All good shows. I just find it sad how some of the funniest shows on TV are cancelled.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/13/2006 06:35
I loved Freaks and Geeks. Only caught a couple of eps of the live action Tick, but I thought it showed a lot of potentional, because live action comic book comedies hasn't really been done before. Also liked Arrested Development a lot, but they've only ever screened the first season on Aus tv.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 5/13/2006 06:31
Futurama *sheds a tear*

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/13/2006 04:48
Angry Beavers were the best.
Was Sam and Max cancelled - I think it was

TheRat (Level 1 Gangster) @ 5/12/2006 14:01
Invader zim and Dead Like Me

DeathByChris (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/12/2006 13:37

FOX is always taking shows off prematurely before audiences even get a chance to get familiar with it and their always moving its time slot all over the place so nobody knows when to watch, Im just glad the Simpsons survived when they were moved to thursdays for awhile then back to sundays where they belong. heres a couple of shows i use to watch, all FOX shows.

"Wonderfalls", "House of Buggin", "Hermans Head"  "The Edge".

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/12/2006 12:47
What, no angry beavers? :P

Flesh icons icon/pixelartOldStuff2 icon/pixelartSamurai icon/pixelartAno and Noa Pt. 1 icon/pixelart