Video game controller history

An interesting analysis of the various video game controllers dating back to the Atari 2600's clunky joystick. After reading through this article it's clear that Nintendo is the company that is leading the way in diversifying how we interact with our games.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 2/1/2006 11:53  |    12

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 2/5/2006 07:39
I've used it on and off for nearly 10 years.  If I was supposed to have got used to its unbalanced, uncomfortable, stupidly layed out controls it should have happened by now.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 2/5/2006 07:26
Aaah, i thought the N64 controller was on of the best. I mean, once you got used to it.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 2/5/2006 04:44
Hmm, am curious if ya throw a PS3 joypad away, does it come back like a boomerang.  Might have to watch that as I tend to throw joypads (sometimes out the window) when I get pissed off with a game.

Anyways yeah I love me the Dual Shock 2 pads.  Got several plugged in my PS2 and a couple of the older Dual Shock 1 joypads plugged into my PC via an adaptor.  The good ol' SNES pad still feels alright to use but out of the games consoles I still own, the DC and N64 pads are the ones that give me most hassle.  Hell I prefer using the blocky NES pad to those.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 2/4/2006 14:55

Interesting article, every controller has its strong and weak points, yet even though i know it was biased towards nintendo, i'm still on their side. meep.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 2/4/2006 09:21
I tihnk its a big oversight of this though to first not recognize the 'brown box' or the odyssey controllers, though they were nearly identicle to the atari, and also to neglect to mention that wireless and 3d-sensitive computer mice were available well before nintendo used it in console controllers.  Nintendo does i suppose get credit for being the first to copy the technology to the consoles.....but the fact of the matter is they invented neither and the article gives them credit for it.  Also, if the DS is any indication, the so-called 'innovations' of nintendo's recent history are really not particularly innovative nor are they really that good...few games even take advantage of the stilus and the dual-screen is mostly hassle, so im not sure that the new remote will be as grand as people seem to make it out to be.  Stll though, the ps3 batarang is not impressing me either, i think the dual shock 2 is the best controller ive ever used, and thats evident in that the xbox 360 changed its buttons around to be more or less a ps2 controller, only larger and more awkward than a ps controller has ever been (until the batarang)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 2/2/2006 19:58

The article is skewed towards Nintendo, but I happen to agree.

Sony should definitely get props for making a "comfortable" controller with the PS1.

PixelSnader (Level 2 Peon) @ 2/2/2006 16:28

they are biased towards nintendo. but hey, the page is ''nintendo revolution'' after all...

i myself think that the SNES ans the PS1 controls are VERY different

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 2/1/2006 19:51
D-pad, shmee-pad.

Blick (Level 6 Commander) @ 2/1/2006 17:40
Technically, it was the D pad that was the addition, sedge.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 2/1/2006 13:56
The analog stick was certainly a huge addition to controllers, but I think the gamepad itself was the single biggest leap (so far) in controllers.

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/1/2006 12:41
Take that back. The analog stick was used by Nintendo 1-month before Sega.

Monsoon2D (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/1/2006 12:19
I find it odd that they fail to show the Sega Saturn "Nights" controller, which introduced the analog stick as well as trigger-style shoulder buttons.

Tifa x Aeris icon/pixelart1bit faces icon/pixelartPuzzle/Action Game Mockup icon/pixelartEriri icon/pixelart