Pixel Joint Map coming soon

I've been working on creating a map for all the members similar to Frappr, but a little more focused on accomodating 4000 member locations. The PJ world view map will have around 150 locations -- one for each country in the world.  When you click on a country on the map you'll have a detail view with all the map points for just that country.

I'm slowly, but surely going to transfer every member (who has posted their location) to the new PJ location system.  This will calculate Longitude and Latitude based on country and/or city.  I've written a script to parse out recognizable cities, states, countries for members, but most people entered their locations in a casual format so it's going to take a long time before everyone is in the system. If you are interested in helping simply go to "Edit Profile" and update your location (Country/City).

Although it is nice to have a map for PJ members, the main reason I'm doing this is so I can get a good handle on how to integrate Google Maps and a geocoder system into a site.

Hopefully you'll see a full map with all 3800+ PJ members sometime in the next few weeks.  Suggestions welcome!

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 1/25/2006 21:32  |    6

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/26/2006 08:24

I wonder why the geocode data uses its own countrycodes. In any case you guys won't see it after I fix the location lookup.

finite (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 1/26/2006 08:22
Just took a look, and it seems '.at' is the Austrian TLD, '.as' is American Samoa.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/26/2006 07:37

I'm not sure member names will show up directly on the map just because we have so many people.  As you narrow your location from country to state (US only) to city the list of people showing below the map will narrow and the map will zoom.

United States
500 Members

California, US
100 Members

Los Angeles, CA, US
50 Members

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/26/2006 07:37
That is really odd that Austrailia is set to AS since Austrailia internet domain is .au.  AU seems to be reserved for Austria for some reason.  I'll have the location results write out the full country name so people don't get confused.

finite (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 1/26/2006 03:25
Sounds like a great idea. The only problem I've seen with Flickr so far is that there's no easy way to see all the people who're in the one city. You only see the most recent. (Unless I'm just a noob...?)

Oh, another thing. Australia shows up on my profile as "AS". The usual abbreviation is AUS or AU. I'm not sure what the Austrian abbrev. is, maybe that clashes? Anyhow, just found that kind of odd. :)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 1/25/2006 21:53
Forgot to mention... all the witty remarks in the old location field like "your mom", "hell", "other side of midnight", etc will be moved to the upcoming bio field so none of your zingers will be lost.

Fox icon/pixelartKirby animations icon/pixelartTree icon/pixelartHeart piece icon/pixelart