Blizzard shuts down 18,000 accounts

World of Warcraft developer Blizzard shut down 18,000 accounts a few days ago mostly for selling virtual items or gold for real cash money on sites like eBay.

This is a really interesting move since this type of activity tends to go on in just about every MMORPG and no other developer has really done anything about it.  Did Blizzard do the right thing?

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 12/27/2005 12:14  |    9

Piggy Wiggles (Level 1 Depressed) @ 1/2/2006 16:58
SERVES THEM RIGHT! Blizzard should sue them! Damn cheaters, I've been playing for hours everyday and i still suck but i don't cheat (because i don't have enough real money to buy any virtual items ).

OMGFossil (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 12/28/2005 23:10
I heard Vin Diesel had a WoW account, someone on 4chan said he joined his guild or whatever, when they found out who he was he just disappeared and probably made another account

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 12/28/2005 10:37

I haven't played a MMORPG yet, but I'm sure I would be hooked on WoW. Blizzard's games are always excellent.

me7356 (Level 4 Murderer) @ 12/27/2005 19:50
Dude, that's a little harsh. I got friends who play that. Well, actually, it might do them some good to go out and get a girlfriend...
But anyways,  shuttuing down the game would cost Blizzard millions, maybe billions of dollars from the dorky, pimply-faced fat kid poulation.

BlackEye (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 12/27/2005 17:10
wow is boring. they should shutdown the whole game

me7356 (Level 4 Murderer) @ 12/27/2005 15:47
Yes, Blink does speak the truth.
A perfect example is Runescape. I used to play it, and if you look on eBay, you can still see some people with no lives, who have most likely found another MMORPG, or just do this for fun, selling their accounts and items for lots of money. I once saw like a million gp for $10.00, and people were actually bidding. It's a very sad problem, now I know that video games aren't evil or anything, but seriously, some of these people actually need to get a social life. I believe Blizzard was probably incorperating this into their plan, and I believe it was perfectly justified.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 12/27/2005 14:10

I know how incredibly frustrating it is to be hammered by hackers in games like Counter-Strike and Battlefield 2 so I can understand why Blizzard would do this.  I know some people would rather pay more money to get an experience they enjoy rather than sink hours into a game so I can kind of understand the other side of the coin too.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 12/27/2005 13:15
Blink speaks the truth.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 12/27/2005 12:27
I totally believe they did the right thing. Games should be equally enjoyed by everybody not just for people with too time time and money on their hands that they need to cheapen the experience.

Broilers and Bluffs icon/pixelartCheese defense_1 icon/pixelartCross of the Damned icon/pixelartHaunted Forest icon/pixelart