Rejected Xbox 360 ad

Why Microsoft rejected this ad featuring some straight up good old fashioned cowboy goodness is a mystery to me.  Hmmm, maybe it's the whole "glorifying violence" thing.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 12/5/2005 00:20  |    8 | Source

Skipper (Level 1 Rookie) @ 12/9/2005 07:17
Microsoft are pussies is all it is.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 12/6/2005 15:37

Yeah, it's a shame an actual clever ad like this won't see any air time.  I've been reading a lot of gripes about this being a ripped off idea, but I don't see how "playing guns" is original at all anyway -- everyone has done it at some point no? It's the actual execution of the ad that is impressive.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 12/6/2005 06:31
I thought as game console commercials (that show crap all about the system and its games), was fairly entertaining.  Like I read somewhere it did remind me of a Spaced episode.  Definetly more fun than the actual Xbox360 ads on now.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 12/6/2005 05:56
I don't care if others think that this was violent. I thought it was a pretty good commercial. Not to mention pretty funny, seeing all those adults act as children. CAUSE THATS WHAT I SAW IN THE COMMERCIAL. But yeah, I know now that others will think about violence before humor when watching these things. In my opinion, I think its kind of sad that we sheild any violent thing away from young youths. Bad things will happen, and other things will get blamed for it. So the most any person can do is to stop complaining about it, and just enjoy it for what it is: a dumb commercial that was made make you laugh, and buy the crappy game. Thats the main idea of the corporate head behind this commercial, not anything else. sorry if offended anyone, just letting my opinion be heard.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 12/5/2005 08:01

Seriously, how did this spot make it to actually being completed? I guess I could see this running on cable, but there's no freaking way this would get on network TV.

big brother (Level 11 Admiral) @ 12/5/2005 07:13

I was surprised this spot made it as far as production without getting the axe by a more savvy creative director. The agency Microsoft hired must have an amazing account department since they got approval to shoot it.

The ad is offensive in our current context. Personally, I think people are too thin-skinned about these things, but after events like Columbine (with a furor over a connection between video game violence and that of real life) and terrorism, I can understand why a free for all "shootout" like this commerical depicts could anger people.

One of my old college professors (a longtime CD at Leo Burnett) told me about an gravy ad he saw that got a lot of complaints. Apparently some of these people saw the image of gravy pouring onto mashed potatoes as "thinly-veiled sexual innuendo".

Other than the obvious flaw with the concept of the ad, I liked it much more than the "jump-rope" or the "water balloon fight" spots in the 360 campaign.

Shark (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 12/5/2005 06:12
lol this was hilarious, maybe microsoft thought it wouldnt make them enough money, cos there such a  struggling company.

Monstara (Level 1 Rookie) @ 12/5/2005 01:07
phew, 'political correctness' is becoming such an annoyance...

Trevor from Castlevania Netflix in SOTN style! icon/pixelartAi-blian to avatar icon/pixelartZelda BotW 2 icon/pixelart"The Unknown Hero" icon/pixelart