Iwata Reveals Revolution's Controller

Turns out what makes the Nintendo Revolution's controller so revolutionary is that it sports a pointer where you are able to point the controller at the TV, turn it a bit to the side, and so will you in the game. The controller is broken in to two parts, one having a joystick the and the other which has all the other buttons and resembles a TV controller.

Click here for more info

Posted by TakeOut @ 9/15/2005 20:46  |    19

BruceJuice (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 9/18/2005 06:13
 i don't know about you guys, but it makes me wanna go shoot myself.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/17/2005 17:03

yeah...my favorite controller was the laser gun from duck hunt....wait, what are talking about again?

Vidd (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/17/2005 12:51
 Please look at this before saying how limited it is
This will rock, it'll act like a GC controller but with the additions.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/17/2005 11:43

Your aversion to keyboard/mouse is understandable since you don't like the two genres where that setup is undeniably far superior -- RTS and FPS. Gamepads/joysticks are most definitely better suited for other genres of games.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 9/17/2005 08:55
You have the right to your opinion, Wolverine, but for me, keyboard and mouse is the most comfortable.  With an XBOX, in many games I have to look down to see where a button is so I can find it and push it.  With PC it's all right there.  For me, it's a comfort issue.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 9/17/2005 02:39
 everything beats a keyboard and mouse...  worst control setup in history in my opinion.  One reason I can't stand most PC games...

and Nintendo lost it with the N64.  Overpriced games, blurry graphics...and no decent fighting games with seemed odd since Street Fighter II was so crucial to the SNES's success

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/17/2005 02:22
I never thought I'd leave Nintendo behind, but Playstation 2 has been really good to me... my first DVD player, several unique games (Abe's Odyssey for PS1, Katamari Damaci, Ico, Ratchet and Clank, Burnout 3) and a gigantic library of solid games. Nintendo really lost it's grip with the Gamecube.

Di0xygen (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 9/16/2005 23:26
 i agree that the revolution controler is innovative, but let me express my opinion on that.

Laset sight = precise and fast = fast games = adrenaline rush = muscle shakes + laser sight = you lose at life

i jus exprience in my gamer life many different controller and devices. trackball, joystick,  normal gamepad. tilt sensitive gamepad and most of them were quite inferior to the perfect mouse and keyboard. i understand the technological advancement of the revolution remote. yet i think its a failure, only the next controllers based on it will prevail. I wont buy a revolution, i wont buy a 360, i will only buy the only console that was honest and always in touch with my need over the years, the good ol playstation.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/16/2005 16:11
Faktablad speaks the truth... nothing beats a keyboard and mouse.

TakeOut (Level 2 Yellow Belt) @ 9/16/2005 15:48
Nintendo stated they don't want to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the same market, opting to go a different route for a different view on gaming. If you guys are afraid to try new things, then go ahead. I'll be most likely getting a Revolution, my second choice would be the 360.
Nintendo is riding on innovation and looking to find new ways of playing and improving gaming rather than improve only on graphics and their hardware. Nintendo is the pioneer of gaming really. They created the rumble-pack, the d-pad, the first multi-game portably system known as the GameBoy. All of those ideas have been copied since then though sadly. They also led to the boom in gaming right after the Nes. Nintendo really has done alot for gaming in the past, I have alot of faith of them, they're the oldest company still competing in the market today and thus have alot of knowledge.

Also the best controllers ever in my opinion in order, were the snes's, Gamecube's, and the PS2's.

I found N64 to be the most uncomfortable controller of all time.

Di0xygen (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 9/16/2005 13:03
 faktablad: i could no agree more

Wolverine: but n64 was a peice of crap, my hands never felt confortable and that mini joystick was pure crap imo, dual shock always been the best, i even have one for my computer and its wireless.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 9/16/2005 12:14

Call me a geek, but my favorite controls are PC controls.  Talk about having tons of controls at your fingertips.  Playing Halo PC, it's like buttah.

DeathByChris (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 9/16/2005 10:55
the dual shock controllers kinda hurts my hands when playing a game like Katamari Damacy. the N64 controller was meant to be held in three different positions depending on the game it was ideal for first person shooters and the extra c buttons sometimes acted as a secondary D-pad and were good for moving the camera around in third person games like Mario64. i loved that controller but the games on the 64 started to suck after awhile. i guess ill have try out the new Rev controller too but i doubt ill like it.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/16/2005 10:12

I guess I'll have to play with it before I pass final judgment. It looks like a huge departure from anything else I've ever seen.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 9/16/2005 10:06
 Disagree with DeathByChris.  I thought the N64 controller was a piece of crap.  I have 5 of them and always found them uncomfortable as hell (not as bad as DC or Xbox though), the design always struck me as idiotic.  Ya can't easily reach every control unless you move yer hands around the joypad?  Dual Shock pads the finest for me, and I see it as a direct evolution of the classic SNES pad.  Dual Shock had the the vibration built much closer to where the hands are placed so ya can actually feel the thing, and have all the buttons and two analogue joysticks in easy reach.   Plus I got smacked around the head with one and it didn't break unlike my red N64 joypad.  Love using the Dual Shock on my PC too, especially on things like MAME.  Steering and trackball games like Super Hang On and Marble Madness feel pretty nice with the analogue sticks too once ya set them up properly. Plus I do the majority of my pixel art with the Dual Shock these days due to health problems that cause my wrist to shake too much when using a mouse.

As for the Rev's controller.... with the joystick bit on that cable it looks worringly like some types of vibrators.  And I can't say that the idea of holding a remote control like device appeals to me as I usually can't stand the remotes i have for my TV and Stereo.  The video does show it can be used in some interesting game types but again like the DS it all feels kinda gimmicky and pretty useless for most established game genres.

OMGFossil (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 9/16/2005 09:25
 Well that's something we'd least expect it to be.

DeathByChris (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 9/16/2005 08:29
hate to say but it looks stupid to me, i still perfer the N64 controller that was one of the most well designed controllers ive ever used and it was very comfortable too. i wish they had N64 style controllers for all systems.

TakeOut (Level 2 Yellow Belt) @ 9/16/2005 07:02
 Uhhh I think I posted the wrong link. >.<

Di0xygen (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 9/16/2005 06:46
 Hurray for wrist and arm pain!

Warrior Iddle State icon/pixelartGame Death logo icon/pixelartObelisk icon/pixelartHoplite - Idle icon/pixelart