Pixel Joint 2.0!

As some of you may have noticed there's a new Pixel Joint layout up today. If everything looks totally out of whack you might need to flush your cache or use the ultra-handy Ctrl+F5 for a quick remedy.

We've added some links to community resources right into the design (Pixelation, Pixelation IRC and Pixel-Arts.org) and we've added a fun little chatterbox page where we can yak away about this and that. One of the other major additions to this new design is a "lighter" feel and a more accessible (hopefully) front page.  We're still working on improving the design (including skinning support and member submitted header graphics), but you probably won't notice any other design changes for at least another few weeks.

Oh yeah, many thanks to Peppermint Pig for his awesome colors, design tips and Pixel Joint header text and iSTVAN for the first PJ header graphic!

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 9/12/2005 18:04  |    27

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/14/2005 15:03

Hopefully the new "PJ themes" will allow everyone to have their own favorite colors for PJ.   I made six themes today before lunch.

The forum is next up, but it's going to take a lot longer unfortunately.  I want to gut the thing and really improve it (visually and performance).  It's just too darn clunky  right now.

Peppermint Pig (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/14/2005 10:58
 Well, I'm certainly biased, so I should avoid saying anything about the colors and graphics, but I must admit, the green lettering in the logo is too light for people who run very high screen resolutions. I second the notion to try out a grid background, or maybe try some OTHER pixel texture backgrounds besides iso grid... diamond patterned wee silhouettes perhaps?

Now, the design! It's well thought out! It's nice to have all your site activities (Wee, TheJoint, LilDudes) easily accessible at the top of the page, as opposed to searching for them at the bottom of the page in the old layout.

The problem I always had with showing so much of the gallery on the main page was that I didn't have any incentive to see the many more works beyond the few listed. As it is now, I can click the title links to jump in, or go to the navigation menu, and I'm taken straight away to the sections, where more art can be listed, unimpeded by the other important elements of the site index.

While the backgrounds which the art sit on are a little light for my taste, I think that this index feels much more alive. However, you ought to use darker backgrounds for the forum, since people will probably spend more time reading and interacting there. Are you going to be using one of the other color schemes for that?

perfectless (Level 1 Intern) @ 9/14/2005 09:01
I really liked the old layout, but this one loads quicklier. so well, I dunno which one I like more. The new one is a bit sipmle... but very light, that's nice.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/13/2005 11:55

Brian the Great: Thanks for that catch.  I will fix that today.

Wolverine: I'm working on the site right now. There's going to be bugs with this transition, but I'm suprised you are crashing. Grrrrr.  I have been testing with Firefox on PC (I'm using it right now) as I've gone along and it only seems to crash when a page has java/flash.  What brings about the crash? Would you mind telling me what extensions you are running so I can install and try them?

Ripped Monkey: The header is going to be customizable as well... the two graphics up top can be replaced, but I'm always open to suggestions in general. Oh yeah, CSS is a whore and you are too.

Ripped Monkey (Level 1 Intern) @ 9/13/2005 11:05
And I show 101 validation errors. I take it all back.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 9/13/2005 11:00
 Firefox 1.0.6 PC.  The old Pixel Joint look crashed on me at times as well.  Usually after trying to post a message or upload a picture.  Again I've never had a problem on any other site.

Ripped Monkey (Level 1 Intern) @ 9/13/2005 10:49
 Wolverine are you using Firefox Mac or PC? The mac version is still very buggy (usually with flash, which isnt a problem here). And I gotta say 4 validation headers for a site of this size is pretty damn close to being perfect.

I think once people can reskin their own pages or change up the color schemes to their liking it will help. My only suggestion is that the header graphics (in green) be designed out a fraction more. It would help a lot.

Sedgemonkey really stuck his neck out to use so much structural css for a site that is viewed by so many different (and obscure) browsers and platforms.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 9/13/2005 09:42
 Maybe I was a little toooo harsh. I really don't like these colors and they were the first thing I saw after waking up with a major headache and they sure didn't help much.  I might get used to the layout and change the colors when its possible.  I still just don't get the main page.  Before I just had to scroll to read the news, most of which I was never actually found interesting anyway but now I have to scroll to see the bottom few of the 5 Hall of Fame which is kinda irritating.

Brian the Great (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 9/13/2005 09:18
 ...But it does go to to the newest when I click Hall of Fame or Weekly Showcase.

(sorry about the double post, but I didn't see it before)

Brian the Great (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 9/13/2005 09:16
 Just noticed a little bug: when I click "new works" it goes to sec=date instead of ob=date. Might want to fix that, since it now leads to highest rated. :\

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/13/2005 08:36

Wolverine:   I certainly wouldn't expect you to blow smoke up my ass.

I know there are only three pixel art pieces items showing instead of five which is a bit of a drag.  Hopefully this will encourage people to actually click on the "new gallery" and/or "weekly showcase" to see the full range of works rather than just what's on the front page.  I had a hard time dropping the three row pixel art thing, but I actually like it a lot better now because you don't have to scroll at all to see what is new and the lighter design makes it feel like less of an artsy dungeon.

Btw, the "generic" design was indeed intentional... smaller code and minimal graphics (the only graphics remaining are in the header and the action icons) is perfect for quick loading,  search engine optimization and the tighter CSS allows for more user customization options for you guys. Also, the traffic of this site is quite large and minimizing the strain on the server/bandwidth is always a bonus.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 9/13/2005 03:39
 To be honest I think it's an eyesore.  Can't stand that blue and green at all and it now looks incredibly generic and cheap.  Much preferred the old layout wih the 3 rows of pixel art.  Looked far more pleasing and inviting.  Sorry if I sound harsh, just trying to be more truthful these days.

space2 (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 9/13/2005 00:52
I think I liked the older one, because:
 - these colours are too bright ... they hurt my eyes... ok, not really, but it's too light and too colourfull for me
 - In the old one more images were shown in the newest pixel art and weekly showcase sections
But the new logo is very cool

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 9/13/2005 00:34
 When viewing peoples pixels, the google ads overlap the gallery box, just so you know...  =)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/12/2005 23:11

I'll get some tweaking done over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can please all you ravenous dogs.

The forum is definitely the dreaded job. I've been waiting for an update for several months from the creator... wonder if it will ever come out.

Saboteur (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 9/12/2005 21:06
Definitely needs some sprucing up, methinks. And I, as well, miss the tiled background. I think that would put it back in the good books with me...

Sapface Sapenbergerstein III (Level 1 Quiet One) @ 9/12/2005 20:48
 It looks like a Ripped Monkeys ass. Only, with lots of colors.

TakeOut (Level 2 Yellow Belt) @ 9/12/2005 20:37
 Now get cracking on that forum bub. :3

TakeOut (Level 2 Yellow Belt) @ 9/12/2005 20:36
 Seems like your typical generic website. For a pixel site, the layout doesn't seem too pixel-ish. But still a welcome change, looks nicer then the last also in my opinion. The new logo, is tons better than the older one.

Ripped Monkey (Level 1 Intern) @ 9/12/2005 20:33
  It looks like Jessica Alba's ass. Tight!

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 9/12/2005 19:24

Anything and everything takes getting used to.  It's called change, people.  We'll see if the pixel art looks better on lighter or darker colors...

Great job making the switch quickly and painlessly.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/12/2005 18:44

The tile could remain... just lighter.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 9/12/2005 18:33

nice changes... but I kinda miss the tile background :(

Will take some getting used to but it won't take long... okay... it's done

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/12/2005 18:29

Who doesn't like a nice looking ass?

Ripped Monkey (Level 1 Intern) @ 9/12/2005 18:21
 It looks like ass

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 9/12/2005 18:16
 Oh no!  Changes!  Heh, just kidding, looks great!

Ostrich Knight icon/pixelartLego brick icon/pixelartRambo Avatar icon/pixelartFran icon/pixelart