New Profile/Admin Tools

Added messenger fields (AIM, ICQ, MSN, YIM) for the member profile pages.  Also organized the profile layout a little bit so it should be easier to find relevant links.

Also added a couple admin reports that will make it easier to spot people who like to create multiple accounts to inflate ratings, comment spam or just be world-class assholes. It certainly won't put a stop to abusers, but at least we can keep the damage under control.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 9/2/2005 08:39  |    7

TakeOut (Level 2 Yellow Belt) @ 9/12/2005 20:43
I can be a world-class asshole on purpose. But that doesn't mean I can't be nice on accident.
heh, I just say right out what I think, like hell I care what people think on the interweb.

All I'm worried about on the site is the gallery, and people voting multiple times to boost artwork. I think you should only be able to vote once, and after maybe change your vote. But it wouldn't count as an additional vote. It would only change your vote that you have already made. It seems like alot of great art is really missing out on the spotlight to me.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 9/2/2005 12:43
 People doing that to boost their artwork is pointless in my opinion, everyone here gets equal opportunity to have their art seen, and if people don't like it, so be it, making dummy accounts to get a higher rating is like sending yourself flowers...

As for others being jerks...  That is really idiotic.

My only thought on that would be to take several variables, such as ISP, resolution, OS, browser, and have it MD5 it, or hash it some other way all together, and only allow one account from that number.  It makes it fairly unique so you shouldn't have a problem with different users having problems, and someone would have to go through alot of trouble just to get an extra account.  There is another way that I use to do at my old forum that worked 99% of the time, but I would have to PM that to you.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/2/2005 12:06

Sounds like a neat tool. I'll take a look at it.

PJ now requires people to be logged in to do anything on the site which has cut down on most of the automated bs. The issues I was referring to are more manual... people creating extra accounts to boost their pixel art ratings or to harass members.   I understand why someone would want to boost their artwork, but I have no idea why people waste their time harassing people with comments/pms. Just to be jerks I guess.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 9/2/2005 11:23
 You should get some filters set up to stop them before they even start.  Try Bad Behavior for one, it checks the HTTP requests and does a great job.  I have stopped over 5,000 spam bots since I started using it.  They are actually PHP, I don't know how easy it would be to incorporate with ASP, but it gives you a start.  If you haven't already, you should start a blacklist of IPs, URL's, and some keywords.  In the past 6 months I have taken my spam on my site from about 600 a day to 0.  It takes alot of work, but it eventually starts slowing down, and I am actually saving a ton of bandwidth with Bad Behavior, too, about 1gb a month.

Another thing you could start doing is the 3 strike program, and after the 3rd strike the user is automatically banned for a set amount of time, or forever.  But I'll shut up now, I have rambled enough.

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 9/2/2005 10:31
Hooray for new features! *dances*

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 9/2/2005 10:05
Pffft, wading through spam is no fun. People have nothing better to do I guess.  Over the last few months the amount of bs has increased dramatically and I was getting tired of dealing with each case after damage had already been done.

Ensellitis (Level 11 Sensei) @ 9/2/2005 10:00
 Lots of new features.  Looks like most of them are ones I'll never see though.

Peoplekind ~ <3 icon/pixelartDaisy icon/pixelartSamurai Jack and The Tower icon/pixelartShaw icon/pixelart