Google Earth

Attention all cartographers and explorers: your services will no longer be required.

Google Earth is no ordinary map tool... you can view 3-D maps of terrain and buildings, zoom around the world with a click of the button, save points of interest and so much more.  It's a hoot.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 8/3/2005 11:16  |    8

DarkAuron (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 8/8/2005 07:09
 Google bought Keyhole, which is what Google Earth was before. And which is why you see "Keyhole" in some of the screenshots of the program on Google's site. I havn't used it since last year before Google took it over but yeah, it's pretty sweet. I figured out that the route that I take from my house to my school is almost *EXACTLY* two miles. Like 2.0001 miles or something x.x

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 8/6/2005 19:50
I agree that many of the non-american images are not up to snuff, but that's because much of the USA is actually comprised aerial photos, while the rest are just satellite photos.

perfectless (Level 1 Intern) @ 8/6/2005 14:07

I think it's great. I've downloaded it some time ago and at the beginning I was impressed, but now I think it's not perfect. We have to wait for the perfect version some more time. Smaller villages aren't good or even not shown. Especially in countries which are not so important to USA. For example Germany. But I think the status of technic isn't good enough to make it better, so I'm happy how it is.

But actually it's great, to see where all your friends, you meet in the www, live.

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 8/6/2005 02:53
I should give this a try when I'm at a friend's, or at school computer...
What Faktablad said here makes this seem even more awesome...

Again: CURSE YOU, ROUTER!

GoroUnreal (Level 1 Private) @ 8/5/2005 21:03
I find it amazing that (in my opinion) this program is better than nasa's program which serves the same purpose as this. Nasa's can't even zoom in far enough to see my house (due to it not being in a known town), but google earth can. odd.

Lawrence (Level 10 Operative) @ 8/5/2005 08:33
 I can just imagine schools using this to teach geography. Amazing, I like the route planner thing.

Faktablad (Level 6 SWAT) @ 8/4/2005 11:26
That is the best thing to come along since, well, Google.  That is amazing.  I skipped lunch; I was flying through the Alps in 3D while spacing out to New-Age music.  It's a blast.

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 8/4/2005 10:48
I know that program: it looks awesome... to bad it can't connect on my PC  curse you, router! *shakes fist*

Portraits N2 icon/pixelartChilly Breath icon/pixelartThree-eyed angel icon/pixelartFriendly Setting icon/pixelart