Gaming Art and Culture

There's an interesting new gaming magazine on the horizon... JumpButton Magazine.

"A magazine that focuses on videogame culture as both an art form and a way of life. A magazine that believes gaming is as much about who we are, as it is about what we play and how we play it."

Finally an art magazine I can actually read.    I hope the launch of the magazine goes well -- it'd be nice to read a gaming mag that isn't just focused on current game reviews.  We'll keep you posted when the first issue is available.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 5/19/2005 22:28  |    14

JumpButton @ 6/30/2005 05:58

See other thread!!

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/30/2005 05:35
I'm in N.S.W, a little up the coast of Newcastle. I couldnt find anything in my local shop, but I'm trying to get some of my friends in Sydney to pick me up a copy. I'm really looking forward to reading it!

JumpButton @ 6/29/2005 05:54

Hey iSTVAN,

You can pick one up in any major newsagency, Borders bookshop or selected art/design bookshop, all around Australia.

What state do you live in?

Cheers.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/26/2005 06:20
I'm Australian, can you tell me where I could pick up a copy? I'd LOVE to read it! :)

JumpButton @ 6/26/2005 04:16

Hey Sedge,

Thought I'd pop on by and see if you got your copy of the magazine yet? I sent it last week. Let me know what you think... the mag's email address is on the site (and in the magazine).

For those of you not in the know... Sedge was kind enough to do an interview and let us use some of his pixel art. The interview went across three pages, and heaps of people who've picked up the magazine have loved the piece. In fact, his art made it onto the cover!!

Unfortunately, at this point it's an Australian only magazine. But if Sedge wanted me to, I'd be happy to send across a pdf of his interview (and the cover) to post on this site. He said a lot of very cool things. It's well worth the read!

Cheers.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/21/2005 20:40
Haha, I wasnt saying that I dislike 'YOU TOO'! Haha.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/21/2005 12:27

There's an interview I did a long time ago about the influence video games has on pixel art.  I might demonstrate a jive ass turkey in pixel form if you're lucky sucka.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/21/2005 12:21

He's referring to the article that showcased the cover of that other magazine.

Anyways Sedge, I was just pointing out that your Half-Life dude was on his page and I wondered if you had a part in making this mag possible or had some kind of spread about your site in the upcoming issues. And what is a Jive Ass Turkey really anyways? I'd like to see that pixelled... lol

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/21/2005 11:01
I don't undersatnd what you mean about U2.

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/21/2005 02:02

Ah. But I really dislike U2. Spiritualized are ok though, and if 'this life' refers to the bbc show, than thats even cooler!

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 5/21/2005 01:59
Yeah! So what? I'd be proud of Sedgey if he was involved! It'd probably also mean lots of pixel exposure anyway!  :)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/20/2005 17:12
Jive ass turkey.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/20/2005 17:08

I doubt we'll be able to read it over in Canada/USA, but who knows.

I don't have any connection to the magazine beyond an interview and even if I did have a connection to the magazine who gives a shit?

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/20/2005 16:46

Hmm... I just wonder what connection you really have to this magazine. Noticed your Half-Life dude on that site too. Anyways, it sounds like a great mag.. I hope they don't let me down

Nessa (Pokemon Sword/Shield) icon/pixelartBeast Hunter (Bloodborne) icon/pixelartFire Flower icon/pixelartEME icon/pixelart