How about Creative Commons?

(warning : slightly soapboxish, sorry :-P)

Creative Commons offers an easy way to choose a personalized license for your work (You can get little pieces of html to stick on your page).

It makes it easier for people to reuse your art (on websites, or in video games) without having to bug you about it. And it makes it easier for you to chose who can do what with which picture.

What would you think about being releasing some of your work here under a Creative Commons license ? (I'm interested in any feedback)

Posted by Flammifer @ 3/2/2005 01:02  |    5

Flammifer (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/3/2005 23:46
finite : I guess creative commons gives you better control if you want to share things, which means people won't be afraid of losing control while sharing (and will share more).

Not that there's any problem with not being eager to share / give away stuff :) When I make something I don't want others too fool around with, I rarely even put it on the web :)

I just want to make people aware of creative commons, so that one day they may opt for it rather then just adding "this is some crappy stuff I made when I was 12, feel free to do what you want with it as long as you don't make any money".

(Plus, there are now ways to search the web for stuff under a specific creative commons license. So even something under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs may be useful for someone making, say, a pixel art tutorial (I assume that zooming up a picture doesn't constitute a derivative work).

Hmm, actually the "making a tutorial" seems to be a pretty good example ... because the guy doesn't necessarily care much about what kind of art it is, as long as he is allowed to use it (though I expect it'd be considered Fair Use, which is why it's no problem to also use stuff from commercial games like existing tutorials already do. Hmm.)

(er, oops, drifted away a bit there, sorry :-P)

Belle (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/3/2005 09:07
I tend to stick the whole 'fill in the form if you want to reuse my work and I'll get back to you' approach.
It may take longer, but it makes absoloutely sure I know what's happening to what.

finite (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 3/2/2005 13:03
As much as I like the whole Creative Commons thing, I'm not sure that I should really bother, as I'd basically just use Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs for all of my artwork, which kinda defeats the purpose of the license.

Sometimes I might make something that I'd be happy to have reused without my permission or knowledge, but generally no. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of having my works edited and used in yet another sprite comic, or someone's click'n'play game. Not to mention how the whole "original artist" inquisition may play out.

I know that I can't stop this just by not using a CC license, but I certainly can't see why having such a license would give me any other _real_ control over how people use my works, above and beyond what the inherent creaters copyrights give.

(The thing I find ironic about the whole sprite edit situation, is the editors inevitably put a bit of text on their sprite sheets, prohibiting editing and reuse without permission, a right they never gave the original artist/owner.)

Sorry if that was a bit long winded, just offering an alternate viewpoint. Feel free to discuss.

Flammifer (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/2/2005 09:05
er, I am ! (*cough*)

(heh, by the way, good icon choice for the piece of news^^)

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 3/2/2005 07:58
I read about Creative Commons in Wired a few months ago, but I was a little confused as to how to implement it. I think I'll put it to use on my own pixel work. I can add an optional flag for pixel pieces to the Pixel Joint if any other artists are interested in CC.

Post here if you are interested.

Jester icon/pixelartDRAG icon/pixelartPet 03b - Adult Lion icon/pixelartGoblin Urchin icon/pixelart